Melissa Barrera is a Mexican actress and singer. She gained attraction after appearing in La Academia, a Mexican singing competition show in 2011.
Since then, she has been active in Mexican entertainment industry and has appeared in variousacting projects such as Siempre Tuya Acapulco (2013) and Club De Cuervos (2017).
Melissa Barrera began her journey as an actress during her school years. She only started venturing onto the screen in 2012 with the TV series La otra cara del Alma.
She was additionally featured in numerous TV series projects like La Mujer de Judas (2012) Tanto Amor (2015), Club de Cuervos (2017), Vida (2018), and so on.
Besides acting on the small screen, she also acted in various movies like El Hotel (2016), In the Heights (2021), Dos Veces Tú (2018), Sacudete Las Penas (2018), and many others.
Since she has the talent to be a singer, she could also be seen contributing to the soundtracks for her own acting project, In The Heights (2021).
In 2021, she was chosen as Clinique Global Ambassador and received international acknowledgment for being a good representative of the Latinx community.
In the same year, Melissa Barrera also modeled for a music video titled Say Less (2021) by Anthony Ramos, who is a fellow actor as well as a singer.
- Real Name: Melissa Barrera Martínez
- Stage Name: Melissa Martínez
- Also Known as: –
- Nickname: Melissa
- Birthday: July 4, 1990
- Birthplace: Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico
- Zodiac Sign: Cancer
- Nationality: Mexican
- Religion: Christianity
- Professions: Actress, Singer
- Education: New York University Tisch School of the Art (Musical Theater)
- Hobby: Playing the guitar
- Husband: Paco Zazueta (Married 2019 – )
- Facebook: Melissa Barrera Official
- Twitter: @MelissaBarreraM
- Instagram: @melissabarreram
- TikTok: @melissabarreram
- YouTube: –
Height, Weight, & Physical Appearance
- Height: 170 cm (5’7”)
- Weight: 60 kg (132 lbs)
- Blood Type: –
- Hair Color: Dark brown
- Eye Color: Dark brown
- Body Measurements: 35-25-35 (Bust -35, Waist -25, and Hips -35 inches)
- Shoe Size: 7.5 (US)
- Dress Size: 6 (US)
- Father: Tomás Gerardo Barrera
- Mother: Rossana Maria Martínez Garcia
- Brother: –
- Sister: Mayelah Barrera, Rossana Barrera, and Regina Barrera
Husband, Boyfriend, & Dating History
She met Paco for the first time in 2011, on the set of La Academia. The couple performed Cuando Me Enamoro rendition, originally sung by Enrique Iglesias.
In September of the same year, they started dating.
After a long-time dating relationship, they announced engagement in June 2017. The pair tied the knot in February 2019.
According to various sources, her net worth is estimated to sit around $5 million. She appeared to earn most of her income through acting.
- Melissa has three younger sisters who are all singers.
- She left her homeland and moved to New York to study Musical Theater when she was 18 years old.
- Melissa was born and raised in a religious and conservative area in Mexico.
- She can sing and play the guitar.
- Melissa’s dream was to act on Broadway.
- She has a good fashion sense.
- Melissa has three houses in Mexico, New York, and Los Angeles.
- After graduating from university, she wanted to act right away, but she could not because she had to fly back to Mexico due to her citizenship.
- She was interested in acting ever since she auditioned for a role in middle school.
- Melissa wants to break stereotypes as a Latina actress with her performance.
- Her husband, Paco Zazueta, is her rival on the Mexican reality TV show La Academia (2011).
- She has two pet dogs.
- Melissa likes working out.
- She idolizes Mexican actress María Félix.
- Melissa originally wanted to become a pop star.
- Her ideal type is…
- Carmen (TBA), as Carmen
- Scream 6 (2023), as Samantha ‘Sam’ Carpenter
- Bed Rest (2022), as Julie Rivers and the producer
- Scream (2022), as Samantha ‘Sam’ Carpenter
- All the World Is Sleeping (2021), as Chama
- In the Heights (2021), as Vanessa
- Dos Veces Tú (2018), as Daniela Cohen
- Sacudete Las Penas (2018), as Luisa Martin Del Campo
- El Hotel (2016), as Karina
- Manual de principiantes para ser presidente (2016), as Brisa Carreiro
- L for Leisure (2014), as Kennedy
- Keep Breathing (Netflix | 2022), as Liv
- Acting for a Cause (YouTube | 2020), as Elizabeth Bennet
- Vida (Starz | 2018), as Lyn
- Club de Cuervos (Netflix | 2017), as Isabel Cantú
- Perseguidos (Imagen Televisión | 2016), as Liliana Rincón
- Tanto amor (El Trece | 2015), as Mía González
- Siempre tuya Acapulco (Azteca | 2014), as Olvido Pérez
- La mujer de Judas (Azteca | 2012), as Zulamita
- La otra cara del Alma (Azteca | 2012), as Mariana Durán
- Collider Ladies Night (YouTube | 2022), as a guest
- The Drew Barrymore Show (Syndication | 2022), as a guest
- The Kelly Clarkson Show (NBC | 2022), as a guest
- Entertainment Tonight (CBS | 2022), as a guest
- The Early Rundown (Sky News | 2021), as a guest
- IMDb Originals (YouTube | 2021), as a guest
- GMA3: What You Need to Know (ABC | 2021), as a guest
- Tamron Hall (ABC | 2021), as a guest
- 2021 MTV Movie & TV Awards (MTV | 2021), as the host
- Sidewalks Entertainment (Syndicated | 2019), as a guest
- The 49th Annual – Nosotros Golden Eagle Awards (YouTube | 2019), as a guest
- Red Carpet Report (YouTube | 2019), as a guest
- The Wendy Williams Show (BET | 2019), as a guest
- Last Call with Carson Daly (NBC | 2018), as a guest
- Celebrity Page (Reelz | 2018), as a guest
- La academia (Azteca | 2011), as self
Music Video Appearances
- Say Less (2021) – Anthony Ramos
- 2022 Satellite Awards – Best Actress in a Motion Picture (Comedy or Musical) – In the Heights
- 2021 Hollywood Critics Association – Best Actress – In the Heights
- 2021 Imagen Awards – Best Actress (Television (Comedy)) – Vida
“I don’t drink coffee! But I drink green tea with a splash of apple cider vinegar.”
I quote Billy Madison all the time. Every time someone says, “It’s hot,” I say, “Sooooo hot! Want to touch the hiney!”
“I love Catherine Zeta-Jones, probably because I was obsessed with Chicago and I thought it was the greatest movie musical ever. I loved that she was an actor who could sing and dance, and I was like, “I want to do what she does.” She also did Zorro, which was another movie that I loved, even though she was playing Latin when she’s not.”
“Always going home and spending time with my family — I just got to be in Mexico for a week with my mom and my sisters. When I come back I’m ready to work and hustle.”
“Listen, there’s nothing I can do about people’s opinions and everyone has a right to have their own opinion, so I’m just gonna keep doing my job that I love to do, and those that are in for it, cool, and those that don’t, I mean, I’m sorry.”
“I am a firm believer in manifesting things into existence.”
“Living in the moment is something that I struggle with. My mom is always there to remind me to pat myself on the back, hug myself and speak to myself in the mirror to congratulate myself on how far I’ve come. I’m trying to change my mentality.”
“I grew up going to see my classmates in theater perform, always wanting to be a part of that because it felt so cool. I would be a little fan in the hallways, watching middle schoolers and high schoolers that were in the show.”
“I just fell in love with the whole process of auditioning and bonding with theater people. They became my friends.”
“I went to NYU thinking, ‘I’m going to graduate, and then I’m going to book something on Broadway and live in New York for the rest of my life.’ That was my life plan.”
“Life has better plans for you than you have for yourself.”
“I needed to go to a place where I could start from scratch and nobody would judge me.”
“Not everyone can do what soap actors do. Having to go from crying in one scene to laughing to crying again to being angry to falling down stairs to a mud fight — all these kinds of crazy things you have to do in one day . . . it’s insane!”
“They had me in this box of this soap actress that did theater. I got a little angry and felt like I needed a change. I needed to go to a place where I could start from scratch and nobody would judge me — I knew L.A. would be that.”
“The only thing I have control over is my experience and my feelings while making it and if I’m proud of it. I cannot let the stars not aligning, or whatever is happening with the world, take that away from me.”
“It’s nice when something that you make with so much love gets received with love.”
“This job requires so much of us… You need to feel like it’s worth it.”
“As a woman I have had to work extremely hard in my career to establish my value, especially when it comes to Scream. I felt the offer that was presented to me did not equate to the value I have brought to the franchise.”
Melissa Barrera has appeared in a lot of hit and critically acclaimed TV series and movies. Hopefully, there would be more projects involving her in the future.