The milestone of The Weeknd as a singer was when he released a compilation album with Republic Records titled Trilogy in 2012.
It ranked #4 on the Billboard 200 and was sold more than 85,000 copies within the first week of release.
Moreover, it got platinum certification from the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). The album led him to win R&B/Soul Recording of the Year from the Juno Awards.
He eventually released his initial studio album named Kiss Land in 2013. One of the singles, Live For, featured Canadian rapper Drake.
In that year, The Weeknd also appeared in Justin Timberlake’s world tour. Moreover, he contributed to the soundtrack of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire called Devil May Cry.
His second album titled Beauty Behind the Madness was launched in 2015 and brought him to win the Centric Award from the BET Awards.
Guinness World Records also noted his album as Most Streamed Album on Spotify in One Year for 60 million unique listeners.
- Full name: Abel Makkonen Tesfaye
- Stage name: The Weeknd
- Nickname: Noise, Kin Kane
- Born: February 16, 1990 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Zodiac sign: Aquarius
- Nationality: Canadian
- Height: 173 cm (5’8″)
- Weight: 85 kg (187 lbs)
- Blood Type: –
- Religion: Ethiopian Orthodox
- Profession: Singer, Songwriter
- Education: Samuel Hearne Middle School
- Hobbies: Fishing and playing video game.
- Parents: Makkonen Tesfaye (Father) and Samra Tesfaye (Mother)
- Sibling: –
- Girlfriend: –
- Facebook: @theweeknd
- Twitter: @theweeknd
- Instagram: @theweeknd
- TikTok: @theweeknd
- YouTube: The Weeknd Official
- His trademarks are his hair and pitched voice.
- His biggest musical influences are Michael Jackson, R. Kelly, and Prince.
- The Weeknd frequently used drugs, like MDMA, cocaine, and cough syrup, to get over writer’s block.
- He is a high school dropout from Birchmount Park Collegiate Institute.
- In 2013, he partnered with a condom product Kiss Land and gave away the product on his Fall tour.
- He was endorsed by a vaporizer company named PAX Labs.
- This Starboy singer donated 50,000 USD to the University of Toronto.
- In 2015, he was arrested due to punching a police officer in Las Vegas.
- Abel dated Bella Hadid in 2016, but then the couple split. They dated again from 2018 to 2019.
- He was included in Forbes magazine’s 30 Under 30 – Music list in 2016.
- Puma chose him as its Global Brand Ambassador in 2016.
- In 2017, he dated famous singer Selena Gomez for 10 months.
- He partnered with Marvel in 2017 and attended its event, New York Comic-Con.
- In 2019, he purchased ownership in OverActive Media Group, an esports company.
- He was sued by a trio from the UK for plagiarizing their song to produce his song named A Lonely Night.
- Forbes magazine placed him in its Celebrity 100 list in 2019.
- Abel collaborated with TD Bank to release Black Hxouse, a Toronto-based think-center.
- During the coronavirus pandemic in 2020, he raised money for MusiCares Coronavirus.
- In the same year, he also raised more than 350,000 USD for the Equal Justice Initiative.
- His ideal type is…
Pics of The Weeknd
1. The Weeknd wears a monochrome outfit
2. His side profile is charming
3. The red suit contrasts with the leaves’ background
4. A selfie from The Weeknd!
5. The army outer looks good with the black T-shirt
The Weeknd has shown his excellence in music by producing outstanding songs, collaborating with other talented artists, and winning prestigious awards.