Gorr the God Butcher is a supervillain in Marvel comic. In Marvel comic, Gorr role as a butcher for God makes him face Thor back to back until he is deceased but is resurrected by King Loki.
His journey to become God’s butcher began when one of one his family die due to starvation. Though he was born on a no-name planet, he was taught to believe in Gods.
When the planet he lived in in the brink of starvation, he prayed to Gods, but none of his prayers get answered.
When his son, Agar died due to starvation, Gorr gave up his hope and believed that there was no God. That was when he met Knull, a dark elder God, and a gold-armored God.
Full of rage, he threatens the gold-armored God, and when God asked for help, the dark God’s sword bonded to him and formed a weapon for him to kill Gods.
He then makes a vow to vengeance all the Gods who never answered his prayer and travels the cosmos for thousand years in order to kill all Gods.
As a God-butcher, he has an alien-like physique with pale white skin and tentacles that emerge from his head.
He also has a muscular build which makes him look scarier with black markings all over his body due to his bond with All Black.
Gorr’s character also makes an appearance in Marvel Cinematic Universe in Thor: Love and Thunder.
Unlike the comic version of Gorr, his character in Marvel Cinematic Universe portraying more human and not using much CGI, so there’s tiny resemblance with his comic version.
His appearance in Marvel Cinematic Universe relies heavily on make-up. His character is a skinny human with white skin and black markings all over his body, wearing white attire that cover all of his body and his head.
- Real Name: Gorr
- Stage Name: Gorr the God Butcher
- Also Known As: Black Butcher, God Butcher, Cloud Stalker, Gorr the Redeemer, All-Black the Necroverse
- Nickname: –
- Birthday: –
- Age: –
- Gender: Male
- Height: –
- Weight: –
- Blood Type: –
- Hair Color: No hair at all
- Eyes Color: Yellow
- Skin Color: White
- Parents: –
- Sibling: –
- Wife: Arra (deceased)
- Children: Agar (deceased)
- Hobbies: –
- Origin: Alien
- Reality: Earth-616
- Living Status: Alive, formerly deceased
- Occupation: God Butcher
- Appearance: Thor: God of Thunder #2 (November 2012), Thor: Love and Thunder (2022)
- Stage Play: Christian Bale
- Creator: Jason Aaron, Esad Ribic
- His tragic backstory makes Gorr a complex villain.
- He lost his parents when he was a child. His mother died because of a wild animal.
- He also lost all his family due to hunger and disease and left with his son Agar only for him to die because of starvation.
- After vowing to kill all the Gods, he went around killing and enslaving a lot of Gods to work on his Godbomb project.
- After bonding with All-Black, he got a weapon that is All-Black the Necrosword. The Necrosword is the strongest weapon in the Marvel universe.
- The Necrosword also makes him have superhuman abilities and the ability to manipulate matter into semi-living beings.
- On his mission to kill all Gods, he encounters three different versions of Thor. First was Viking Thor, then Avenger Thor, and finally King Thor.
- When he met Shadrak, the God of Bombs, the God told him the way to design a device that could kill any God across time and space in exchange for his life.
- He is killed by young Thor and resurrected by King Loki.
- He is the reason Thor doubts himself as a God and becomes an unworthy Thor.
- In Marvel comic, Gorr isn’t the only one who has an obsession with killing God. There’s Desak Destroyer of Gods, Mangog, Gorgon, and Japanese God of death Amatsu Mikaboshi.
- Through his swords, he possessed strength that was comparable even greater than Thor. With this strength, he can defeat many Gods in open combat and is capable of cleaving through planets and even stars.
- Being able to fly at blinding speeds is one of his strengths. With this strength, he was able to overtake the thunder god on their first encounter.
- The Necroswords also gave him the ability to regenerate from lighting strikes and even grow back and reattach his arm that had been cut off.
- Using the living abyss comprising all-black to create weapons, armor, and even a cloak is one of his strengths.
- Living for several billion years to kill the Gods and still being able to look in his prime is proof that he was immune to aging.
- Able to torture even the God of Torture indicates that Gorr is a master torturer.
- Despite all the strength Gorr has, he is vulnerable to heat and sonic vibration.
- He might have the strongest weapons in Marvel Universe, but his power is also dependent on a symbiote with All-Black the Necrosword. If the sword killed as many Gods as possible, it could become powerful and give power to its user.
“My name is Gorr, son of a nameless father, outcast from a forgotten world. I have slain my way through multitudes to stand here at the genesis of all things. Blackened by vengeance, wet with holy blood. One simple dream still strong in my heart… The dream of a godless age.”
“This is my vow, all Gods will die” – Gorr in Thor: Love and Thunder.
“It fell from the sky many years ago, on a world without a name. I picked it up… and butchered my first gods. And then as I stood there, baptized in their blood. A question formed in my simple little brain… I wonder if there are more?”
“Feel that little lord of heaven? That sense of helplessness as you fall? That is how you feel to be mortal. Next you will learn how it fell to be butchered.”
“The only one who God care about is themselves.” -Gorr in Thor: Love and Thunder
“The Gods will use you, but they will not help you. There is no eternal reward for us.” -Gorr to Jane, Thor: Love and Thunder
“Two omnipotent brothers squabbling with each other while all of existence withers around them. This is exactly why I’ve always despised your kind. This… is why all Gods must die.”
“Yes, come, little king! Welcome to All-Black the Necroverse!”
“Help… You? Help YOU!? Where were you!? Where were you when my children were starving!? When my wife was screaming for your help!? When my mother was being butchered like an animal! WHERE WERE YOU WHEN WE NEEDED OUR GODS!?”
“I had a daughter once. I put my faith in a higher power hoping it would save her and she died. Now, I understand. My daughter is the lucky one. She does not have to grow up i a world suffering and pain, run by wicked Gods.” -Gorr in Thor: Love and Thunder
Gorr’s tragic backstory makes him vow to kill all Gods, even going to length making Godbomb, but in the end, his rage toward Gods must met and end when he encounters Thor.
His bond with All-Black Necrosword might make him have a strong superpower, but he is dependent on his swords and not able to do any harm without it.