Katsuki Bakugo is one of the most popular characters in the anime series, My Hero Academia.
He is the rival of Izuku Midoriya and also the student at Yuei High School, in the second A. His dream is to become the most powerful hero to dethrone All Might.
Katsuki Bakugo is a young man of medium height, with a rather narrow but muscular body and slightly tanned skin. He has short ashy blonde hair and his eyes are sharp and thin, bright red in color.
He is a fierce and temperamental character, especially at the beginning of the series. At first, Katsuki looks cruel and not like a hero.
However, after being accepted by Yuei and experiencing several personal defeats, one of them even coming from Izuku, Katsuki gradually turned into a less antagonistic person, but still retaining many of his unpleasant traits.
He is incredibly focused on achieving his own victories and has learned never to underestimate his opponents.
- Real Name: Bakugō Katsuki / 爆豪勝己
- Stage Name: Katsuki Bakugo
- Nickname: Kacchan, Great Explosion Murder God Dynamight (Daibakusasshin Dainamaito)
- Birthday: April 20
- Birthplace: Near Shizuoka Prefecture
- Zodiac: Taurus
4 years old (First appearance);
14 years old (Chapters 1-2);
15 years old (Chapters 3-4);
16 years old (U.A. Sports Festival Arc to Tartarus Escapees Arc);
17 years old (Current)
- Gender: Male
- Height: 172 cm (5’7½”)
- Weight: 56 – 58 kg ((123 – 127 lbs)
- Blood Type: A
- Eyes Color: Red
- Hair Color: Ash blonde
- Quirk: Explosion, One For All (Briefly)
- Hobby: Mountain climbing
- Parents: Masaru Bakugo (Father); Mitsuki Bakugo (Mother)
- Sibling: –
- Manga Debut: Chapter 1
- Anime Debut: Episode 1
- Japanese Voice Actor:
Yūichirō Umehara (Vomic);
Nobuhiko Okamoto (Anime);
Rie Takahashi (Vomic; child);
Sachi Kokuryū (Anime; child)
- English Voice Actor:
Kate Oxley (Child)
- Bakugo’s surname “baku” means “explosion”, and the kanji “gô” means “strength, power, splendor, magnificence”. His surname therefore means great power, extravagant explosive.
- The nickname given by Izuku to Katsuki is “かっちゃん (kacchan)”. It is used mainly for young children or women. It makes affectionate sense. That’s why he doesn’t like this nickname because it conveys a too childish idea of him.
- Katsuki loves spicy food and mountaineering.
- According to volume 1, he was supposed to be a natural genius, a very kind and very gentle character, but the author decided instead to make him a tough and evil character.
- Katsuki is ranked 1st during the Entrance Exam and third during the Alters Apprehension Test.
- Katsuki is ranked third in the second A when it comes to grades.
- He is also the oldest student of the Second A, having been born on April 20.
- His rivalry with Izuku is similar to Vegeta with Son Goku from the Dragon Ball manga, also Sasuke Uchiha with Naruto Uzumaki from the Naruto manga.
- At school, he wears Yuei’s standard uniform except for the usual red tie, and under his blazer, he wears a button-down white shirt with the first buttons detached.
- Katsuki’s prior ally was Best Jeanist, but his disappearance results in Katsuki joining Shoto and Midoriya at Endeavor’s Hero Agency.
- Katsuki is one of the last 1-A students to receive his provisional license.
- He has a history of bullying and lacking patience, which makes it seem as if he’d have zero tolerance for children.
- Explosion: Katsuki’s quirk allows him to produce powerful explosions. He does this by sweating a nitroglycerin-like substance from his skin, which he can then detonate at will.
- Superhuman Strength: Katsuki has shown that he is quite physically strong, being able to contend with Izuku on multiple occasions through strength alone.
- Superhuman Speed: In combination with his Quirk, Katsuki can launch himself with his explosions and travel at incredible speeds.
- Keen Intellect: In contrast to his violent and aggressive behavior, Katsuki is very smart and capable of analyzing his opponent’s strengths and weaknesses, as well as formulating strategies of his own.
- Musical Talent: During the U.A. Cultural Festival, Katsuki reveals he has talent at playing the drums and played a major role as part of the musical performance.
- He has developed a sort of superiority complex since childhood, due to which he looks down on others, and gets irritated very easily when someone out-performs him.
- Due to his arrogant nature, he is not good at teamwork.
- He needs to be hydrated and warm since he needs to sweat in order to produce explosions, rendering him powerless in extremely cold and dry conditions.
“I won’t just be number one… I will have first place, far ahead of the others!”
“When you spend your time despising others, you don’t see your own weaknesses!”
“I will never accept anything less than an absolute victory! Four to zero, without a scratch! That’s how you win when you’re the strongest!”
“Every time Deku gets stronger, I grit my teeth to keep from falling behind. Even at this 30 percent speed of his… I ain’t gonna be left behind. I’ll take his growth and make it my own, all to rise higher. Even higher than him – the “chosen one”. I’m not gonna lose… I can’t afford to stay a loser!”
“In the end it doesn’t change what I have to do.. I’ll become a hero that surpasses even you, Deku!”
“Shut up, scum. I will win this. That’s what it means… to be a hero, Deku.”
“I haven’t changed. My goal’s always been the same– To surpass All Might and become the Number One Hero.”
Although often portrayed negatively, Katsuki’s ferocity and competitive impulse gave him an important role in the Second A, as a kind of inspiring figure.
Katsuki Bakugo is not only very athletic and talented in combat, but also very intelligent and extremely insightful, capable of strategic planning and quick improvisation.
He doesn’t seem to care much about what others think of him, barely caring about violent behavior.