Devon Rodriguez has drawn strangers he met on the subway since 2010 when he was still a high school freshman. The artist named his “project” the Subway Series.
At that time, Devon looked for his teacher’s help to build a portfolio as he wanted to transfer to a school in midtown.
When the teacher showed his past artwork at subways, Devon started doing the same thing.
However, Devon just started uploading his work in 2020, then he gained more than 1 million followers on Instagram within six months.
He also uploaded them on his TikTok account and grew faster as Devon got viral and reached millions of views for each video.
The account even reached #4 on the top 10 TikTok creators. Devon was also a part of the creators of the TikTok LatinX Trailblazers.
His profile was featured in famous media, such as News Week, TimeOut, and Daily Mail.
- Full name: Devon Rodriguez
- Stage name: Devon Rodriguez
- Nickname: Devon
- Birthdate: April 8, 1996
- Birthplace: New York, US
- Zodiac sign: Aries
- Height: –
- Nationality: American
- Religion: –
- Profession: Artist, Painter, TikTok Star, Internet personality
- Education: Fashion Institute of Technology
- Hobbies: Drawing and painting
- Parents: Carlos Rodriguez (Father), – (Mother)
- Sibling: –
- Girlfriend: –
- Facebook: @devonrodriguezart
- Twitter: @devonrodriguez
- Instagram: @devonrodriguezart
- TikTok: @devonrodriguezart
- YouTube: Devon Rodriguez Official
- Devon often uses self-deprecating humor when talking about himself.
- Many people describe him as sensitive, quiet, and thoughtful despite his harsh upbringing.
- His father worked as a tattoo artist, but the man left him when Devon was only two years old.
- Devon remembered that his father has a Hannya mask tattoo, a Japanese demon.
- At the age of eighteen, Devon got an internship at the BronxArtSpace.
- He then continued his art study at the High School of Art and Design.
- Devon got accepted to the prestigious school thanks to his art teacher during his freshman year at high school.
- He stayed some time in Brooklyn with a female writer named Diane, but the man came back to his grandmother’s house in South Bronx due to confusion with the landlord.
- There, Devon lived with his cousins who always made fun of him.
- As he loved drawing and his father was a tattoo artist, Devon was curious and tried to find his father on Facebook.
- At that time, he found an account named Cilo Rodriguez with the same tattoo as he remembered.
- Devon asked his father’s friends and went to Miami after finding his father’s location.
- However, they were not going well as Devon said his father was too harsh, and his father thought Devon was too soft.
- In 2020, Devon started making sketches and uploading those work during the Covid-19 pandemic because he wanted to document the moment when everyone wore masks.
- The artist mainly sticks to the 6 trains for his place to draw when he commutes between the Bronx and Manhattan.
Pics of Devon Rodriguez
1. Devon wears a black T-shirt and blue jeans
2. He looked so focused while painting
3. His figure seems to contrast with the soft background
4. Devon wears a grey T-shirt and black cap
5. He poses with food
Even though Devon Rodriguez has experienced a tough childhood, he finally rises up and becomes a famous artist.