Lay first introduction to the entertainment industry came when he was just six years old. He got the acting role of Huan Huan in Chineses TV show We The People (1998).
In 2005, he got more recognition as he competed in Huan-based TV show Star Academy. He managed to get the third place in the competition.
Lay auditioned for SM Entertainment when they held the global casting auditions in Changsha. He passed the audition and officially joined the agency in 2008.
This Libra man was first introduced as EXO member in 2012. He was part of the EXO-M sub-unit, performing songs in Mandarin and generally catering to the Chinese market.
With the group, Lay made his debut in 2012 with the release of EP Mama. It got to number two on Sina Album Chart and number 1 on various Chinese streaming platforms.
He is involved in several more EPs and studio albums up until the EP For Life in 2016.
Afterwards, the man from Changsha focused more on his solo career in mainland China. He released his debut solo song What U Need? in 2016.
Lay then followed it up with the relase of EP Lose Control on the same year. The EP contains six Mandarin tracks in which he’s involved in the writing, composition, and arrangement process.
Throughout the years, this talented singer has also made appearance in several films. This includes acting alongside Jackie Chan in Indian-Chinese action film Kung Fu Yoga (2017).
His other notable role is in 2018 Chinese fantasy-comedy film The Island. He got the leading role as Xiao Xing, one of the sea bus passengers stranded in an island.
The film was a commercial and critical success. Lay also got many praises for his performance.
After years of inactivity with EXO due to conflicting schedule, Lay made his return in 2021. He took part in Don’t Fight the Feeling.
The EP went to number 1 on the Gaon Album Chart and sold over 1 million copies in just eight days.
- Real Name: Zhang Jiashuai
- Legalized Name: Zhang Yixing (张艺兴)
- Korean Name: Jang Ye Heung
- Stage Name: Lay (레이)
- Nickname: Da Tou
- Birthday: October 7, 1991
- Birthplace: Changsha, Hunan, China
- Zodiac Sign: Libra
- Nationality: Chinese
- Position: Main Dancer, Vocalist (EXO)
- Sub-Unit: EXO-M
- Super Power (Badge): Healing (Unicorn)
- Height: 177 cm (5’10”)
- Weight: 60 kg (132 lbs)
- Blood Type: A
- Religion: Catholic
- Profession: Singer, Songwriter, Producer, Composer, Actor
- Education: Hunan Normal University High School
- Hobbies: Cooking, Dancing, Playing piano and guitar, Playing on the computer, Mastering Korean, Composing songs
- Parents: –
- Girlfriend: –
- Facebook: –
- Twitter: @layzhang
- Instagram: @layzhang
- Tiktok: –
- Youtube: –
- Weibo: 努力努力再努力x
- Lay gets his stage name from SM Entertainment. It took inspiration from Meteor Garden character Huaze Lei who is talented and has interest in music.
- This talented artist is part of EXO-M and was going to be their leader.
- He arrived to the agency at the same day as Luhan, making them really close.
- Lay has a funny, humble, mischievous, forgetful, and easy going personality. But he is also really hard-working.
- His presence on stage is strong and charismatic. But he’s actually really humorous and playful off stage.
- One of his habits is sleeping on the living room’s floor because it’s cooler there.
- This Libra man can speak Korean, Chinese, and English.
- He can attend practice for a long time. One time, he even practiced since early morning until dawn of the next day.
- Lay has slow reaction to jokes and other stuff.
- He can play the piano and has admitted to learning it himself.
- He would play song on his guitar to cheer up other EXO members.
- Some of his favorite foods are junk food, tidbits, and something he cooks. He also likes fruits.
- The man from Changsha loves cooking and often seen as EXO-M’s cook.
- He picks black and purple as his favorite colors.
- He loves writing songs and composing music.
- This idol has a hard time learning choreographies.
- He likes dancing in the dark.
- He got a cat when he was 17 years old.
- Lay is scared of pigeons and any animals with beaks.
- His neck is pretty sensitive to wind.
- Prior to his debut with EXO, he worked with SHINee during their world tour as Jonghyun’s dance replacement.
- This talented songwriter dreams of becoming a producer in the future.
- His personality on and off stage is the most different, according to fellow EXO-M members.
- He is someone who will keep his anger to himself until he explodes.
- Lay is friend with Leo of VIXX.
- He has his own charity foundation called Zhang Yixing Arts Scholarship.
- He has established an entertainment company named Chromosome Entertainment Group in 2020.
- This EXO member is the first ambassador of Perrier in China, Milka , Valentino, and Converse in Asia and Pacific Ocean.
- He has starred in several Chinese movies such as Ex Files 2: The Backup Strikes Back and Oh My God in 2015, Kung Fu Yoga and The Founding of an Army in 2017, and also The Island in 2018.
- He’s also been in Chinese dramas The Mystic Nine in 2016, Operation Love in 2017, The Golden Eyes and Empress of the Ming in 2019.
- Lay has wax figures in Madame Tussauds Wax Museum in Beijing and Shangai. The one in Beijing is shown in modern clothes. While the figure in Shanghai is based on his character in The Mystic Nine, Er Yue Hong.
- In Idol Producer, he becomes the MC.
- This Chinese man was also the mentor for the reality show Rave Now in 2018.
- He is on TC Candler The 100 Most Handsome Faces of 2018 at number 18.
- Lay admitted that if he was a girl, he would date himself.
- His ideal type is a cute girl who is filial.
Pics of Lay
1. Lay looks real classy in bright colored suit
2. Loving the details on the white jacket
3. He’s posing like a model
4. Simple but breathtaking in white
5. Red also fits him well
Lay has made a name for himself both for his project with EXO and his solo work.