Dakota Johnson kicked off her career with the movie Crazy in Alabama (1999) which was coordinated by her stepfather. Her mother and half-sister were also featured in the movie.
A few years later, she was chosen as Miss Golden Globe, which granted her instant fame. Then, she started becoming a model under the IMG Models agency.
Following her graduation from secondary school, she began her acting career through William Morris Agency. The movie The Social Network (2010) was her first acting project.
It was closely followed by Beastly (2011) and 21 Jump Street (2012). Besides acting in movies, she also had some work on the small screen including The Office (2013) and Ben and Kate (2012)
Her real breakthrough, however, came when she got the lead role in the trilogy movies Fifty Shades of Gray (2015), Fifty Shades Darker (2017), and Fifty Shades Freed (2018).
Other striking works she has accomplished include movies like Dark Mass (2015), How to Be Single (2016), The Lost Daughter (2021), and numerous others.
Read also: Rebecca Rittenhouse – Biography, Profile, Trivia, Family & Life Story
- Real Name: Dakota Mayi Johnson
- Stage Name: Dakota Johnson
- Also Known as: –
- Nickname: Dakota
- Birthday: October 4, 1989
- Birthplace: Austin, Texas, United States
- Zodiac Sign: Libra
- Nationality: American
- Height: 171 cm (5’7”)
- Weight: 54 kg (119 lbs)
- Blood Type: –
- Religion: Scientologist
- Professions: Actress, Model, Producer
- Education: Aspen Community School
- Hobby: Crashing weddings
- Parents: Don Johnson (Father), Melanie Griffith (Mother)
- Siblings: Stella Banderas (Half-Sister), Alexander Bauer (Half-Brother), Grace Johnson (Half-Sister), Jesse Johnson (Half-Brother), Jasper Breckinridge Johnson (Half-Brother), Deacon Johnson (Half-Brother)
Chris Martin (2017 – );
Jon Hamm (2017);
Matthew Hitt (2014 – 2016);
Benedict Cumberbatch (2013);
Jordan Masterson (2011 – 2014)
- Facebook: –
- Twitter: –
- Instagram: @dakotajohnson
- TikTok: –
- YouTube: –
- Dakota started her career in the entertainment industry as a model.
- She had a lot of modeling projects ever since she was in school.
- Her mother, Melanie Griffith, was also Miss Golden Globe.
- She had to go into rehabilitation due to drug addiction when she was only 17 years old.
- Her parents, Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith, also struggled with drug addiction and had to go into rehabilitation.
- She has a lot of tattoos on her body.
- Her natural hair color is a subtle dirty blonde.
- She owns her own production company called TeaTime Pictures.
- Dakota admitted that she stole a flogger and a few pairs of underwear from the set of the movie Fifty Shades of Gray (2015) and brought it home for a keepsake.
- She is best friends with fellow actress Riley Keough.
- Dakota is not very active on social media.
- She danced ballet until she was 14 years old.
- Dakota is good at dancing and singing.
- She started acting when she was only 9 years old.
- Her boyfriend, Chris Martin, is a lead singer in the band Coldplay.
- Out of her many tattoos, her favorite is the quote “Lightly, my darling,” from the book Island (1962) by Aldous Huxley.
- She is an animal rights activist.
- Dakota always brings keys, chapstick, and candy in her purse.
- She often brings a copy of The New York Times to the set for filming.
- Growing up, she was obsessed with the girl band The Spice Girls.
- She used to listen to a lot of songs by the bands, Nirvana and Pearl Jam.
- Dakota shares the same neighborhood as famous TV host Jimmy Kimmel.
- Her maternal grandmother, Tippi Hedren, is a veteran actress.
- Both her parents are celebrities.
- Her half-sisters, Stella Banderas and Grace Johnson, are well-known models.
- She had plenty of tough workout routines prior to filming the movie Fifty Shades of Gray (2015).
- Dakota is friends with her boyfriend’s ex-wife, Gwyneth Paltrow, and was seen hanging out together with her and her kids, Apple Martin and Moses Martin.
- She has a vast knowledge of music.
- Dakota is allergic to limes.
- If she had to choose movies he would watch over and over again, they would be Mary Poppins (1964) and Beetlejuice (1988).
- Her parents had an on-and-off relationship.
- She loves traveling.
- Dakota said she wants to have her own ranch and live a simple, country life someday.
- As a teen, she had to deal with bullying.
- She is of Norwegian, Swedish, German, and British descent.
- Her ideal type is…
- Her net worth is around $14 million.
Read also: Talia Ryder – Biography, Profile, Trivia, Family & Life Story
- Daddio (TBA), as the producer
- The End of Getting Lost (TBA), as the producer
- Madame Web (2023), as Madame Web
- Persuasion (2022), as Anne Elliot
- Am I OK? (2022), as Lucy and the producer
- Cha Cha Real Smooth (2022), as Domino and the producer
- The Lost Daughter (2021), as Nina
- The High Note (2020), as Maggie Sherwoode
- The Nowhere Inn (2020), as self
- Making ‘Bad Times at the El Royale’ (2019), as self
- Our Friend (2019), as Nicole Teague
- The Peanut Butter Falcon (2019), as Eleanor
- Wounds (2019), as Carrie
- Bad Times at the El Royale (2018), as Emily Summerspring
- Suspiria (2018), as Susanna ‘Susie’ Bannion
- Fifty Shades Freed (2018), as Anastasia Steele
- Gucci: Gucci Bloom (2018), as self
- Fifty Shades Darker (2017), as Anastasia Steele
- How to Be Single (2016), as Alice Kepley
- A Bigger Splash (2015), as Penelope Lannier
- Black Mass (2015), as Lindsey Cyr
- Vale (2015), as Rachel
- Chloe & Theo (2015), as Chloe
- Fifty Shades of Grey (2015), as Anastasia Steele
- In a Relationship (2015), as Willa
- Just a Minute (2015), as self
- Cymbeline (2014), as Imogen
- Closed Set (2014), the Leading Lady
- Need for Speed (2014), as Anita Coleman
- Date and Switch (2014), as Em
- Transit (2012), as Elizabeth Becks
- The Five-Year Engagement (2012), as Audrey
- 21 Jump Street (2012), as Fugazy
- Goats (2012), as Minnie
- For Ellen (2012), as Cynthia ‘Cindy’ Taylor
- Beastly (2011), as Sloan Hagen
- All That Glitters (2010), as Dianica French
- The Social Network (2010), as Amelia Ritter
- Crazy in Alabama (1999), as Sondra
- Slip (Roku | 2022), as the executive producer
- AFI Movie Club (Sling TV | 2020), as self
- Saturday Night Live: Cut for Time (NBC | 2015), as Anastasia Steele
- The Office (NBC | 2013), as Kevin’s Replacement
- Ben and Kate (Fox | 2012), as Kate Fox
- Burning Questions (YouTube | 2022), as a guest
- IMDb Originals (YouTube | 2021), as a guest
- CBS Mornings (CBS | 2021), as a guest
- The Drew Barrymore Show (Syndication | 2021), as a guest
- Hollywood First Look Features (YouTube | 2021), as a guest
- Dish Nation (Fox | 2020), as a guest
- The Graham Norton Show (BBC | 2020), as a guest
- De todo corazón (YouTube | 2019), as a guest
- Global Citizen Festival (ABC | 2019), as a guest
- Comedy Central Roasts (Comedy Central | 2019), as a guest
- CTV News at Six Toronto (CTV | 2019), as a guest
- 34th Film Independent Spirit Awards (IFC | 2019), as the winner
- Variety Studio: Actors on Actors (PBS | 2019), as a guest
- WGN Morning News (WGN | 2018), as a guest
- Front Row Flynn (YouTube | 2018), as a guest
- IMDb on the Scene – Interviews (YouTube | 2018), as a guest
- The Late Late Show with James Corden (CBS | 2018), as a guest
- Entertainment Tonight Canada (Global | 2018), as a guest
- Access Hollywood (NBC | 2018), as a guest
- taff (ProSiebenSat.1 Media | 2018), as a guest
- C à vous (France 5 | 2018), as a guest
- 75th Golden Globe Awards (NBC | 2018), as the host
- God kveld Norge (TV 2 | 2017), as the interviewee
- The 89th Academy Awards (ABC | 2017), as the host
- Loose Women (ITV | 2017), as a guest
- The Late Show with Stephen Colbert (CBS | 2016), as a guest
- 2016 MTV Movie Awards (MTV | 2016), as the nominee
- The EE British Academy Film Awards (BBC | 2016), as the host
- Watch What Happens: Live (Bravo | 2016), as a guest
- The 42nd Annual People’s Choice Awards (E! | 2016), as the winner
- Late Night with Seth Meyers (NBC | 2016), as a guest
- Good Morning America (ABC | 2016), as a guest
- E! Live from the Red Carpet (E! | 2015), as a guest
- Made in Hollywood (Syndication | 2015), as a guest
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (ABC | 2015), as a guest
- Weekend Ticket (DIRECTV | 2015), as a guest
- Ellen: The Ellen DeGeneres Show (Syndication | 2015), as a guest
- The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (NBC | 2015), as a guest
- Today (NBC | 2015), as a guest
- Saturday Night Live (NBC | 2015), as the host
- The Oscars (ABC | 2015), as the host
- Late Show with David Letterman (CBS | 2015), as a guest
- Fantastic (Nickelodeon | 2015), as a guest
- Saturday Night Live: 40th Anniversary Special (NBC | 2015), as a guest
- Celebrity Page (Reelz | 2015), as a guest
- 72nd Golden Globe Awards (NBC | 2015), as the host
- E! News (E! | 2014), as a guest
- Extra (Extra TV | 2014), as a guest
- The Insider (CBS | 2014), as a guest
- Jimmy Kimmel Live! (ABC | 2012), as a guest
- Entertainment Tonight (CBS | 2009), as a guest
- The 63rd Annual Golden Globe Awards 2006 (NBC | 2006), as a guest
- The 23rd Annual People’s Choice Awards (CBS | 1997), as a guest
Music Video Appearances
- Earned It (2015) – The Weeknd
- 2021 Middleburg Film Festival – Actor Spotlight Award – The Lost Daughter
- 2019 Film Independent Spirit Awards – Robert Altman Award – Suspiria
- 2018 Cinema Con – Female Star Of The Year – Dakota Johnson
- 2016 Golden Raspberry Awards – Worst Screen Combo – Fifty Shades of Grey
- 2016 Golden Raspberry Awards – Worst Actress – Fifty Shades of Grey
- 2016 People’s Choice Awards – Favorite Dramatic Movie Actress – Fifty Shades of Grey
- 2015 Elle – Elle Women in Hollywood – Dakota Johnson
- 2011 Palm Springs International Film Festival – Ensemble Cast Award – The Social Network
- 2010 Phoenix Film Critics Society – Best Ensemble Acting – The Social Network
- 2010 Hollywood Film Awards – Ensemble of the Year – The Social Network
- 2006 Hollywood Foreign Press Association – Miss Golden Globe – Dakota Johnson
- 2019 Alliance of Women Film Journalists – Special Mention (Actress Most in Need of a New Agent) – Fifty Shades Freed
- 2018 Indiana Film Journalists’ Association – Best Actress – Suspiria
- 2018 Alliance of Women Film Journalists – Special Mention (Actress Most in Need of a New Agent) – Fifty Shades Freed
- 2018 Golden Raspberry Awards – Worst Screen Combo – Fifty Shades Darker
- 2018 Golden Raspberry Awards – Worst Actress – Fifty Shades Darker
- 2016 Alliance of Women Film Journalists – Special Mention (Actress Most in Need of a New Agent) – Fifty Shades Freed
- 2016 British Academy Film Awards – Rising Star Award – Dakota Johnson
- 2016 MTV Movie & TV Awards – Best Breakthrough Performance – Fifty Shades of Grey
- 2016 MTV Movie & TV Awards – Best Kiss – Fifty Shades of Grey
- 2015 Women Film Critics Circle – Worst Female Images in a Movie – Fifty Shades of Grey
- 2014 Young Hollywood Awards – Breakthrough Actress – Dakota Johnson
- 2013 Women’s Image Network Awards – Outstanding Actress in a Comedy Series – Ben and Kate
- 2011 Central Ohio Film Critics Association – Best Ensemble – The Social Network
- 2010 San Diego Film Critics Society Awards – Best Ensemble Performance – The Social Network
- 2010 Washington D.C. Area Film Critics Association – Best Acting Ensemble – The Social Network
There is more than Dakota Johnson than just a pretty face. She is crowned as Hollywood Royalty not only because of her parents’ fame but also because of her own hard work.