Coming from a humble family, Karim Benzema began his football career when he was eight years old at Bron Terraillon, a club in his hometown, Bron.
When he scored two goals in a U-10 match against Lyon Youth Academy, it makes Lyon club get interested in him.
Though at the beginning Bron Terrallion refused to sell him, but after Lyon’s official talked to his parents, he got the chance to serve as ball boy at Lyon’s senior team games and his adventure with Lyon’s youth team then began.
He began his professional senior debut at Lyon senior in 2005 when he was 17. He rose to fame as the Ligue 1 Player of the Year and after scoring 66 goals in a total of 148 appearances, in 2009 he signed a six year contract with Real Madrid.
He also awe people with his performance for the national team. He began represented Frances as the part of the U-17 in the 2004 UEFA European Under-17 Championship and helped bring the team to stardom.
He made his international senior debut representing France at the age of 19 in 2007. Ever since, he has taken part in three major international tournaments such UEFA European Football Championship 2008 and 2012 and 2014 FIFA World Club.
- Real Name: Karim Mostafa Benzema
- Stage Name: Karim Benzema
- Also Known As: –
- Nickname: Coco
- Birthday: December 19, 1987
- Birthplace: Lyon, France
- Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
- Nationality: French
- Height: 185 cm (6’1”)
- Weight: 80 kg (176 lbs)
- Blood Type: –
- Religion: Islam
- Profession: Professional Footballer
- Education: –
- Hobbies: –
- Position: Striker
Lyon B (2004 – 2006);
Lyon (2004 – 2009);
Real Madrid (2009 – )
- Parents: Hafid Benzema (Father), Wahida Djebbara (Mother)
- Siblings: Sabri, Gressy, Lydia, Farid, Celia, Laetica, Sofia, Nafissa
- Girlfriend: Chloe de Launay (Ex-Girlfriend)
- Wife: Cora Gauthier (Married 2017 – )
- Facebook: –
- Twitter: @Benzema
- Instagram: @karimbenzema
- Tiktok: –
- Youtube: –
- His parents were immigrants from Algeria and they lived in the Bron, eastern France, a neighborhood known for its trouble.
- Karim Benzema is the sixth son out of nine children.
- Grown up as a kid, he sometimes got involved in trouble and once joined gangs who led him to crime as a kid. His father takes part in stopping him from involving and disciplining him.
- He went to Catholic school but having troubled interacting at first and not well received. He’s also getting bullied because of his chubby appearance.
- His younger brother, Sabri and Gressy took the same path as him as the footballer.
- He scored 32 goals for Lyon’s U-16 in U-16 French League.
- In 2009, he soars the fame on the French record in association football when he transfers to Real Madrid for €35 million.
- He was dating a French Algerian fashion and lingerie designer, Zahia Dehar, but she lied to him for being underage and it got them to the trial in Zahia affair.
- In 2012, he dated a French singer, Jenifer Yael.
- He once dated Rihanna in 2015, but things also didn’t go well between those two.
- After ending his relationship with Rihanna, he dated pop superstar Analica Chavez.
- After breaking up with Analica Chavez, he dated Chloe de Launay and had a daughter named Melia with her.
- They both should take a different path and Karim had a secret marriage with Cora Gauther in 2016.
- In May, 2017, Cora Gauthier gave birth to his son Ibrahim Home.
- In 2015, he got in a scandal for blackmailing Mathieu Valbuena over a tape that featured Valbuena sleeping with his girlfriend and was found guilty in 2021.
- This controversy brought him summoned by French Football Federation and got him suspended from the national team.
- He went back to playing for France in Euro 2020 tournament.
- For his blackmailing verdict, he was handed a one year suspended jail term and ordered to pay a €75,000 fine along with €80,000 to cover Valbuena’s legal costs and €150,000 in damages.
- He apologized to his teammate Vinicius Junior, for telling his teammate not to pass the ball to Vinicius during a match against Borussia Monchengladbach.
- He won French Football Player of the Year in 2011 and won twice after that.
- He has luxury designer houses in France and Spain. The house’s estimated property value is around $2.7 million.
- His favorite holiday destination is Ibiza, Spain.
- He owns several brands of cars including Range Rover, Mercedes Benz, Bugatti, and Ferrari.
- His ideal type is…
- His net worth is around $70 million.
“I’m not going to give up. If people think I’m going to give up the French national team, they’re mistaken. I’m still here, and I’m still hungry for trophies.”
“For the moment, I haven’t ended my career. I’m young. There are still a lot of goals.”
“Some people say I don’t love the French national team. If that were the case, I would have said so directly to the coach, because I’m a big boy.”
“What I would like is to at least have a discussion with the coach, that he tells me what he thinks. I have to know.”
“The public digs needled me to rebel. They forced me to work harder”
“I have faith in the players, who have paid me back on the pitch. I have brought in young players because they have a lot of potential. I’m the only one who decides, and I take decisions based on sporting reasons.”
“Personally, what goes beyond sport, you have to put to one side. You need the best to win trophies.”
“I don’t need money, and when I do a favor, I expect nothing back.”
Karim Benzema’s road as a footballer isn’t a flowery road. He should face discrimination back at school and when he started his career, but his potential and grit brought him to stardom as a footballer.