Rich Brian first got into the internet in 2010 at just 11 years old. He discovered Youtube while trying to find ways to solve his Rubik’s Cube.
At the same time, he also joined Twitter. He started making video contents which include dark-comedy sketches.
He eventually made his move to Vine and shared more of his comedy sketches there. This Indonesian man also created a Youtube channel.
Even before he became known as a rapper, he was already an internet personality. He made funny but not helpful How To videos like How to Microwave Bread and How to Do Vape Tricks.
Being on the internet and social media, Brian made friends with people all over the world. In 2012, his American friend introduced him to Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’ song Thrift Shop.
He liked what he heard and began to explore the hip hop genre, finding the likes of Drake, 2 Chainz, Kanye West, and Logic.
The man born in Jakarta first wrote rap song in 2014 as a dare from his friend. He recorded the song on iPhone. The track is titled Living the Dream. It was released on July 2015.
Rich Brian followed it up with the song Dat $tick, released through Youtube on February 2016. The debut single was accompanied with a music video.
On the video Brian showed up in pink polo shirt and a fanny pack. His unusual style of clothing, not to mention his rapping skill, caught the attention of many hip hop fans.
Not long after, this Virgo man signed with 88rising. The music label immediately put in the work to ensure Dat $tick got the recognition it deserved.
They released the song on iTunes, Apple Music, Spotify, and Soundcloud on March 2016.
88rising also created a reaction video featuring American rappers 21 Savage, Desiigner, Ghostface Killah, MadeinTYO, Tory Lanez, and many more.
Dat $tick eventually peaked at number 4 on Billboard Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles.
Rich Brian solidified his place in the music industry by releasing his first studio album Amen on February 2018. The album was preceded by 3 singles Glow Like Dat, Chaos, and See Me.
It reached number 18 on US Billboard 200. With this album, Brian also became the first Asian musician to top the iTunes Hip Hop charts.
Over the years, thisyoung rapper has released another album titled The Sailor and an EP 1999. He also made appearance on 88rising’s compilation album Head in the Clouds.
Rich Brian was featured on several tracks including the single Midsummer Madness and History.
- Real Name: Brian Imanuel Soewarno
- Stage Name: Rich Brian
- Nickname: Brian
- Birthday: September 3, 1999
- Birthplace: Jakarta, Indonesia
- Zodiac Sign: Virgo
- Chinese Zodiac Sign: Rabbit
- Nationality: Indonesian
- Height: 173 cm (5’8″)
- Weight: 58 Kg (128 lbs)
- Blood Type: –
- Religion: Christian
- Profession: Singer, Rapper, Songwriter, Producer
- Education: –
- Hobbies: Making videos
- Parents: Megawati Purnomo (Mother), Heru (Father)
- Sibling: Sonia Eryka (Sister), Roy Leonard (Brother)
- Girlfriend: Vanntey Heng
- Facebook: Rich Brian Official
- Twitter: @richbrian
- Instagram: @brianimanuel
- Tiktok: @richbrian
- Youtube: Rich Brian Official
- Soundcloud: Rich Brian Official
- Rich Brian is the youngest of four siblings.
- His sister is Sonia Eryka, a well-known fashion blogger.
- He got an older brother Roy Leonard aka ROYCDC, a DJ.
- This Virgo man is of Chinese descent.
- His father worked as a lawyer.
- The family also ran a family restaurant where Brian often had to help out.
- This Indonesian rapper was homeschooled. He never had any formal education.
- Brian learned English by watching Youtube videos and listening to rap songs.
- He is insanely fast in solving Rubik’s Cube.
- At first, he wanted to become a Cinematographer in Los Angeles. But gave it up as he got more popular in the music industry.
- Rich Brian wants to take acting classes and maybe become an actor.
- He appeared on Sonia Eryka’s music video Dalam Sepi.
- He got in a controversy for his old stage name Rich Chigga due to its racial connotation.
- This rapper changed his stage name to Brian on January 2018. He then changed it again to Rich Brian six days later.
- His style is mostly influenced by Childish Gambino, Young Thug, Yung Lean, and Tyler The Creator.
- Rich Brian has worked with several K-Pop artists such as Jackson Wang, Kris Wu, and Chung Ha.
- He convinced another up-and-coming Indonesian artist NIKI to join 88rising.
- His ideal type is…
Pics of Rich Brian
1. Rich Brian is ready to work
2. He definitely has some interesting fashion choices
3. Looking cool while performing on stage
4. It seems like he really loves oversized glasses
5. Brian is looking adorable in this shot
Rich Brian’s rise to fame is not only incredible but inspiring as well. From him, we can learn to always dream big. He was just a boy from Indonesia, but the whole world know his name.