With various mixtapes and self-directed recordings, Tory Lanez took steady steps toward his stardom during the first half of the 2010s.
His 2014 mixtape Lost Cause became a huge hit after he uploaded it on YouTube. His slow jam Say It and the Grammy-nominated song Luv from the album were the source of multi-platinum hits.
Because of his huge success, Tory was signed by Interscope Records and Mad Love Records.
His breakthrough came when he released his first proper album I Told You in 2016. The album made it to a Top Ten hit in Canada and the U.S.
In 2020 Tory came back with an album Daystar and secured a position within the Top Ten Canadian and U.S. charts.
- Real Name: Daystar Shemuel Shua Peterson
- Stage Name: Tory Lanez
- Nickname: Tory
- Birthday: July 27, 1992
- Birthplace: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
- Zodiac Sign: Leo
- Nationality: Canadian
- Height: 170 cm (5’7”)
- Weight: 68 kg (150 lbs)
- Blood Type: –
- Religion: Christian
- Professions: Rapper, Singer, Songwriter, Record Producer
- Education: Fletcher’s Meadow Secondary School
- Hobbies: –
- Parents: Sonstar Peterson (Father), Luella Peterson (Mother)
- Sibling: Suheyb Ali Isse
- Girlfriends: Kash Doll (2018), Bria Myles (2017), Kaylin Garcia (2017), Trina (2014 – 2015)
- Facebook: Tory Lanez Official
- Twitter: @torylanez
- Instagram: @natashabassett
- TikTok: @torylanez
- YouTube: Tory Lanez Official
- Tory is known for his crazy antics in front of an audience which includes swinging from stage equipment, climbing the walls, and an impromptu group surf session.
- He comes from Ontario, Canada. However, he moved to Florida U.S.A. toward the start of his teenage years when he fostered an interest in rap music.
- Tory’s friend gave him the stage name ‘Lanez’ because of Tory’s troublemaker tendencies where he used to run into the streets and play in the lanes without checking the traffic first.
- His mother died from an uncommon illness when he was still young. Music is what helped him through his difficult situation.
- At a young age, he had to live on the roads for around three years. Over time, he found his passion for hip hop.
- Tory’s father is from Barbados, while his mother was from the Caribbean island, Curacao.
- He turned into a renowned rapper before he was even endorsed by a record label.
- Tory is motivated by senior artists like Brandy and R. Kelly.
- He is old buddies with American rapper Meek Mill.
- Tory considers his music style swavey. Swavey means that he can rap, sing, and do numerous other music-related stuff at the same time.
- His ideal type is…
- His net worth is around $4 million
- Alone at Prom (2021)
- Daystar (2020)
- Chixtape 5 (2019)
- Love Me Now? (2018)
- Memories Don’t Die (2018)
- I Told You (2016)
- 2020 Juno Award – Juno Award for R&B/Soul Recording of the Year – Feel It Too
- 2019 Juno Award – Rap Recording – Freaky
- 2018 Juno Award – Rap Recording – Love Me Now?
- 2017 Juno Award – Rap Recording of the Year – Shooters
- 2020 Juno Award – Juno Award for R&B/Soul Recording of the Year – Chixtape 5
- 2019 Juno Award – Artist of the Year
- 2019 Juno Award – Fan Choice Award
- 2019 BET Hip Hop Award – Best International Flow
- 2018 Juno Award – Artist of the Year
- 2018 Juno Award – Fan Choice Award
- 2018 NAACP Image Award – Best New Artist
- 2017 Juno Award – Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- 2017 Juno Award – Fan Choice Award
- 2017 Grammy Award – Best R&B Song – Luv
- 2016 Soul Train Music Award – Best New Artist
- 2016 MOBO Award – Best International Act
- 2016 BET Hip Hop Award – Best New Hip Hop Artist
- 2016 BET Award – Best New Artist
- 2015 Much Music Video Award – Best Hip Hop Video – Henny in Hand
“I’m not a hater. I’ve expressed this before.”
“I’m not a singer. I’m not an R&B singer. I’m an artist.”
“I’m a very cultural person, and Canada is a very cultural place.”
“I’m definitely more of a rockstar than anything.”
“Swavey, it puts more than one genre of music together. That’s the approach I have with all music I do.”
“I have a lot of fans, but a lot of people don’t know who I am.”
“People have to remember this – I’ve literally been going at this music thing since my mother passed away.”
“Hip-hop is a contact sport.”
“I try to make music, all kinds of music, whether it be singing or rapping.”
“There’s a different energy at one of my shows than anybody else’s.”
The multitalented rapper, Tory Lanez, has made a name for himself in the entertainment industry and his passion for music has positively inspired those around him.