Eren Yeager is the protagonist of Attack on Titan, an anime and manga that receives massive popularity around the world.
When first introduced, Eren Yeager was a 15 years old boy living in Shiganshina District, the southernmost town of Wall Maria, the outer of Paradis Island. He has a long face with black hair and large green eyes.
His brow is straight and often seems furrowed and it makes him look angry or annoyed. His hair when he was first introduced was short, but it became long after the four-year time skip.
His clothes change due to the circumstances, but his usual attire is a long beige shirt, white trousers, a maroon sash around his waist, and brown knee-high boots.
When he changes into Titan form, his appearance drastically changes. His height increased to 15 m with long hair up to his shoulder.
His eyes become deeply sunken, with a hooked nose and mouth, jagged, that are unsuited for intelligible speech, only enough to roar and howl.
From the first moment, he is shown as a passionate and impulsive boy. He has a strong will and is willing to protect mankind.
His willingness to protect mankind makes him would do anything to reach his goal. Even later, he needs to lie or make people around him do violent acts.
- Real Name: Eren Yēgā (エレン.イェーガー)
- Stage Name: Eren Yeager
- Also Known As: Attack Titan (進撃の巨人), Suicidal Bastard, Mister Kruger (クルーガーさん), War Hammer Titan (戦槌の巨人)
- Nickname: –
- Birthday: March 30
- Birthplace: Shiganshina District
15 Years Old (850);
19 Years Old (854)
- Gender: Male
170 cm (5’5″) (850);
183 cm (6′) (854);
15 m (49′) (Attack Titan Form);
4 m (13′) (Pure Titan Form)
63 kg (138 lbs) (850);
82 kg (180 lbs)
- Blood Type: –
- Hair Color: Black
- Eyes Color: Green
- Hobbies: Hanging out with friends, dreaming of exploring the world (previously)
- Parents: Grisha Yeager (father), Carla Yeager (mother)
- Sibling: –
- Friends: Mikasa Ackerman, Armin Arlert, Levi Ackerman
- Enemy: Titans (previously), Theo Magath, Willy Tybur
- Residence: Wall Rose
- Affiliation: Yeagerist, Survey Corps (former)
- Occupation: Soldier (former)
- Grade: A
- Grad Rank: 5th
- Species: Human, Intelligence Titan
- Origin: Attack on Titan
- Debut: Chapter To You, 2000 Years From Now
- Type of Hero: Fallen Localized Protector
- Creator: Hajime Isayama
- Voice Actor: Yuki Kaji
- Eren’s name is from Turkish, which has the meaning he who progresses has reached toward divine maturity and sacred wisdom. His name can also be interpreted as saint or holy.
- His surname Yeager, is from the German-surname Jager, which means hunter.
- His name also comes from his father’s compatriot, Eren Kruger, and his surname Kruger was used when he pretend as an injured soldier trying to infiltrate Marley.
- His black hair is designed because he is an energetic character, so it could be easier for Isayama to draw him moving.
- Even though he is at first described as someone who sheds tears after waking up from a nightmare, he grows up to become someone who has no fear. Often he faces to face with Titans and he has also been known for his boldness.
- Though his The Rumbling plan ends up mass murdering people, he is actually loyal to his people and wants to secure the future, even if it means death for him, and there are many occasions where he acts quickly to protect people around him or make the first attack.
- Since graduating from the 104th Training Corps, Eren Yeager has records for killing Titan, though it’s when he became Titan itself.
- He got the Titan form because his father injected him with Titan serum, and he got several Titan forms as well as Founding Titan who was responsible for the creation of all Titans in the future.
- His father was a Titan which has an appearance similar to his Attack Titan’s form.
- His Founding Titan form have the ability to control other Titan through scream and also have the power to erase and edit memories of every human except the Ackermans.
- He naturally has the talent, to persuade his comrade through his speech, and while at first he didn’t realize this talent, then when he realizes that, he used his charisma to form the Yeagerist and make everyone believe that he’s their true leader.
- The use of the suffix -hiki he uses when talking about Titans shows his hatred toward Titans because the suffix -hiki is used to describe smaller animals and he vows to kill all the Titans.
- His hatred toward Titans fades when he knows that Titans is a human that the Marleyans forcefully converted as a punishment.
- In order to gain his goal, Eren has no problem with killing innocent people and tricking the child into helping him do mass murder. He was even able to lie to his friends so they could help him do mass murder.
- The nickname hardheaded suits him because he rarely heard others’ opinion or criticism, even if it’s from his best friend Armin.
- Eren Yeager is a heavyweight drinker, so he does not get drunk easily, even if it’s not shown in the manga or the anime.
- His Titans form is inspired by MMA, Yushin Okami, and Takanori Gomi, along with the southpaw fighting style.
- Eren Yeager started his practice in Martial Arts when he was in the 104th Training Corps. These martial arts skills get used when he takes on the armored Titan.
- His Titan form makes him have strength far beyond humans. He is able to move the Colossal Titan’s, break, Armored Titan’s armor, and even the beast, colossal Titan.
- His ability to heal from injury applies both to his Titan form and to his human side.
- His ability to harden his Titan form, shows up after he drinks Rod Reiss bottle of Armor. His ability allows him to harden his fists to his entire body, which makes him strong enough to break the Armored Titan’s armor.
- The Coordinate: His Founding Titan form allows him to access the coordinates and manipulate the subject of Ymir as if it’s the Founder’s own body. Being able to access the Coordinate also means that he can make a change to memory and immunity.
- Structure Hardening / Creation: He is able to make various solid structures from his flesh with the power of the War Hammer Titan. This solid structure could be used to ambush his opponent or create a weapon.
- Healing Withdrawal: Not only regenerative power, he also has the ability to hold back his regenerative process for a long period of time.
- Future Memory Inheritance: His ability includes being able to see the memories of future inheritors and even relay his memories to previous users. This ability has a side effect on him, making his perception become nonlinear and thought incoherently.
- Since his first introduction, he has the tendency to become aggressive and it’s been going around throughout the series. He might have a lot of courage, could say fearless, to the point his guts sometimes endangered him.
- His actions sometimes become unpredictable because of his willingness to run ahead of his allies, and sometimes he can run off at meaningless moments that are random.
- He mostly lets his anger and insecurity get him and makes him bouts extreme violence. He isn’t good with communication, though he’s surrounded by master diplomat.
- At the beginning of the series, he has a gullibility side to him, which makes him unable to detect the traitor.
“ You are all free” – Eren, before being decapitated by Mikasa.
“Ever Since I Was A Kid… Mikasa. I’ve Always Hated You.”
“We’re Born Free. All of Us. Free. Some Don’t Believe It, Some Try To Take It Away. To Hell With Them!”
“If Someone Is Willing To Take My Freedom… I Won’t Hesitate To Take Theirs.”
“We’re Born Free.”
“If you win, you live. If you lose, you die. If you don’t fight, you can’t win.”
“How Can You Call Yourself A Soldier?”
“You’re Not Soldiers. You’re Not Warriors. You’re Just Murderers.”
“If you think reality is just living comfortably and following your own whims, can you seriously dare to call yourself a soldier?”
“I don’t have time to worry if it’s right or wrong, you can’t hope for a horror story with a happy ending.”
“I disposed of some dangerous beasts. Mere animals that just happened to resemble humans.”
“My head’s gotten all messed up.The Founder’s power has made it so that there’s no past or future. It all exists at once. So I had to do it…”
“I am free. Whatever I do. Whatever I choose. I do it out of my own free will.”
The popularity of Eren Yeager’s character might be unpredictable even to Isayama. At first, we could see Eren as an energetic boy who dreamt of going beyond the Walls.
As the series goes on, his personality becomes more complex, so people are often confused about which one is the villain or the hero.