Giyu Tomioka is one of the most popular characters from Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba. It’s no surprise that he has appeared since the beginning of the story, and he has an interesting personality.
Tomioka Giyu has a unique appearance. In this anime, he is described as a young man who has a thin and tall body. His hair is black and long. He often ties his hair back. His eyes are so firm with a dark blue color.
He can control and master the Breath of Water technique. He is also able to conquer Akaza and can master 10 techniques. In fact, he was also able to develop the next technique, the 11th technique.
- Real Name: Tomioka Giyu (冨岡 義勇)
- Stage Name: Giyu Tomioka
- Nickname: Giyu
- Birthday: February 8
19 Years Old (Chapter 1);
21 Years Old (As of Chapter 28)
- Gender: Male
- Height: 176 cm (5’9½”)
- Weight: 69 kg (152 lbs)
- Blood Type: –
- Hair Color: Black
- Eyes Color: Dark Blue
- Parents: –
- Siblings: Tsutako Tomioka (Older Sister)
- Friends: –
- Hobbies: –
- Manga Debut: Chapter 1
- Anime Debut: Episode 1
- Japanese VA: Takahiro Sakurai
- English VA: Johnny Yong Bosch
- Giyu’s surname contains the kanji for “wealth”(冨 tomi) and “knoll” (岡 oka). His first name contains “righteousness, justice” (義 gi) and “bravery, heroism” (勇 yū).
- Giyu ranked 4th in the first popularity poll with 2,190 votes. Giyu ranked 2nd in the second popularity poll with 13,281 votes.
- Giyu’s favorite food is simmered salmon with daikon. Seeing a fresh plate even made Giyu smile once.
- Giyu is the Pillar of the demon extermination corps that first appeared in this series, both in the anime and in the manga.
- He is a quiet character, but he has a good heart.
- He is also one of the Kimetsu no Yaiba characters who has gotten a spin-off that highlights him.
- Even though he is the Pillar of Water, Giyu once felt he didn’t deserve the position.
- One of the fundamental reasons Giyu is not confident in occupying the position of Water Pillar is because of his experience in the Last Selection.
- He was the creator of the eleventh Water Breathing technique, Nagi. The technique that easily handled Rui, the Fifth Lower Moon 12 Kizuki.
- Giyu Tomioka was one of the Pillars who survived until the end of the story, even though he lost her right arm.
- Giyu is one of the most powerful and skilled swordsmen in the entire organization.
- He created an entirely new technique in the Breathing Style and impressed Akaza who had fought Water Hashira in the past.
- As the Water Hashira, Giyu is his generation’s most skilled Water Breathing user.
- Giyu has honed his physical strength to superhuman levels.
- Giyu has attained incredible stamina and endurance.
- He possesses inhuman speed and reflexes, as shown when he took Nezuko away from Tanjiro’s grasps at blinding speeds, which took him several seconds to register.
“Don’t cry. Don’t despair. Now’s not the time for that. I know you’re devastated. Your family was massacred, and your sister became a demon. I know it’s painful. I know you want to scream. I get it. If only I’d gotten here a half-day sooner, your family might not have ended up dead. But there’s no way to turn back time. Feel the rage. The powerful pure rage of not being able to forgive will become your unswerving drive to take action!”
“Why did I forget that exchange with Sabito? It’s important. I didn’t want to remember because my tears would never stop. When I did remember, I was so sad I couldn’t do anything. Tsutako. Sabito. I’m sorry I’m so immature.
“I really don’t want to draw my sword. And I don’t like to fight anyone for amusement. But now, for the first time in a long while, I’m up against a strong opponent who can overwhelm me and I realize that my senses have been sharply honed in a short time. Senses that were closed off to me have been awakened and dragged out to the place where my strong opponent stands. Now I understand how the intense struggle to survive increases in one’s skills.”
“I must pass on what was entrusted to me. Never again will I let family and friends die before my eyes. I’ll save him. I will save Tanjiro the same way I was saved.”
“Go back and train harder, fool!!”
“Do not let others hold the right to decide if you live or die!!”
Although Giyu Tomioka was thin and tall, he was very good with a sword. On top of that, he also had outstanding breathing techniques.