Zenitsu Agatsuma is one of the protagonists characters of the anime, Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba. He is a member of the Demon Slayer Army and also the travel companion of Tanjiro Kamado.
Zenitsu Agatsuma is described as a crybaby character among other demon slayers. He is a young man with fair skin, light brown eyes, short-blonde hair with strands of different lengths.
Before becoming a demon slayer, Zenitsu’s hair was black, it changed after he was struck by lightning during his training.
He is such a cowardly demon slayer, he grumbles all the time that he will die soon because of his risky job. However, he tries his best if he can and has a lot of respect for his classmates and his deceased teacher, Jigoro Kuwajima.
Besides that he is always driven to take revenge, so that in critical moments, he is able to concentrate.
This character is seen for the first time at the beginning of the final selection at Mount Fujikasane. After the Final Selection, Zenitsu is one of the four people who have succeeded.
Being the only boy in the trio to have grown up in the city, Zenitsu Agatsuma shows more knowledge about how the city works and is constantly embarrassed by the naivety of his partners.
- Real Name: Agatsuma Zen’itsu / 我妻 善逸
- Stage Name: Zenitsu Agatsuma
- Nickname: Monitsu Zenko / 善子 (posing as a courtesan), Honoikazuchi no Kami
- Birthday: September 3
- Age: 16 years old
- Gender: Male
- Height: 164.5 cm (5’4¾”)
- Weight: 58 kg (128 lbs)
- Blood Type: –
- Hair Color: Blond to Orange, Black (Formerly)
- Eyes Color: Light Brown (demon), Black (human)
- Type of Hero: Cowardly Monster Slayer
- Parents: –
- Siblings: –
- Wife: Nezuko Kamado
- Friends: Tanjiro Kamado, Inosuke Hashibira, Nezuko Kamado, Genya Shinazugawa
- Enemies: Kaigaku, Muzan Kibutsuji, Daki, Gyutaro, Enmu Tamio
- Hobbies: Playing hanafuda cards, Diceplay.
- Manga Debut: Chapter 6
- Anime Debut: Episode 4
- Japanese Voice Actor: Hiro Shimono
- English Voice Actor: Aleks Le
- Stage Play: Keisuke Ueda
- Zenitsu’s surname means “my wife” (我妻 agatsuma?), while his given name means “goodness” (善逸 zen’itsu?).
- Before the raid on Infinity Castle, Zenitsu exudes a different, more serious atmosphere, as if he were focused on something important.
- During his fight against Kaigaku, Zenitsu is stern and becomes furious, which leads him to shout angrily at him for disrespecting their cultivator.
- Because of fear, Zenitsu hardly asks himself to fight seriously.
- Zenitsu was not raised by his parents, so he did not get good advice.
- When he was young, Zenitsu fell in love with a girl and decided to give him money to call on her, but the girl ended up running away with another guy, leaving Zenitsu to drown in debt.
- Zenitsu began to refer to Jigoro as “Grandfather” and began training alongside Grandpa’s other disciple, Kaigaku.
- One day, while training, Zenitsu climbed a tree for fear of being dragged to death, and as he began to panic, a thunderbolt struck him, making his hair blonde.
- He is a member of the band “Stylish Scruffy Democracy” along with Tanjiro (Vocals), Inosuke (Taiko Drums), and Tengen (Harmonica).
- Zenitsu also has experience as a songwriter.
- He is the only non-Hashira Demon Slayer who has performed special feats.
- The pattern on his haori may have been inspired by Uroko, a traditional Japanese pattern that symbolizes scales.
- He wrote a memoir called The Legend of Zenitsu.
- His debt is estimated to be around 600,000 yen in modern currency.
- He likes sweet and expensive food.
- Lightning-based breathing styles swordsmanship: Zenitsu possesses incredible strength in his legs that allows him to jump extremely high and at lightning speed to perform his thunder breathing techniques.
- Immense speed and agility: Zenitsu is extremely fast, being able to move faster than the eye can see. He can hold Inosuke Hashibira with his bare hands and project his whole body by clinging to one of his legs and rotating it.
- Mid-sleep empowerment: Zenitsu’s true strength awakens when he sleeps, because that’s when his nerves that normally prevent him from accessing his true strength let go, making him more sagacious, calm and precise in battle, which allowed him to instantly decapitate the Tongue Demon and defeat the Spider Son Demon on his own.
- Innovation: During their final confrontation with Kaigaku, it is revealed that Zenitsu has created his own technique of seventh form for the Thunder Breath Style.
- Superhuman sense of hearing: The greatest strengths inherent in Zenitsu are his exceptional sense of hearing and his ability to feel the emotions of living beings through his hearing that allows him to detect danger even in the faintest of sounds. He also has extrasensory perception, such as detecting a person’s thoughts, emotions, and even personality just by picking up the subtle sounds they produce.
- Immense resistance and endurance: Zenitsu has incredible resistance and endurance. He was seen continuing to fight even after being affected by the deadly poison of Son Spider Demon that gradually weakened him and turned him into a spider.
- Zenitsu has a low self-esteem that he thinks he is useless.
- He is scared all the time, constantly crying and always trying to flee at the slightest sign of danger, claiming that he wants to live a normal and modest life instead of being a scoundrel.
“Your family is waiting for you two to return!”
“Clearly Gramps did smack me around a bit too much. But he never abandoned me.”
“If you can master one, that’s cause for celebration!”
“Apologize to the girl whose ear you nearly tore off. It may be your money that pays for their clothing, food, and housing, but those girls aren’t your toys. You won’t get away with this.”
“I’ve protected it. You told me… this is more important to you… than your own life.”
“This is my form. I created it, so it’s all mine. With this technique…I wanted to fight you as an equal.”
“I feel sorry for grandpa for having such pathetic successors.”
“People don’t simply recover instantly. No matter how strong someone is, they can feel pain and sadness. But hiding from it solves nothing. You must rouse your aching heart and stand back up. I’m sure Rengoku was that kind of person.”
“I hate myself more than anyone. I always think I have to get my act together, but I end up cowering, running away, sniveling. I want to change. I want to be a competent person.”
“Don’t ever give up. Even if it’s painful, even if it’s agonizing, don’t try to take the easy way out.”
Zenitsu Agatsuma is naturally fearful and paranoid, he is extremely afraid of danger and death. From the beginning, he appears as a talented and competent demon killer, even if he denies it.
He put his sword behind him, ended up living with Kamado siblings and Inosuke under the old Kamado house.