Kyojuro Rengoku was one of the main characters in Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba and was the Pillar of Flame of the Demon Slayer Army.
Kyojuro is Shinjurou’s eldest son. Kyojuro Rengoku was born into the shinjuro rengoku clan, the pillar of fire.
Kyojuro has long bright yellow hair black forked eyebrows and big golden eyes that turn red with white pupils.
He is tall and athletic. Though Kyojuro is a gentle and honest person, he is depicted as quite eccentric and tends to express his emotions easily.
Kyoujuro fulfills his duties as a demonic slayer and pillar with such passion. Kyojuro inherited his father’s discipline and ferocity through his schooling. Kyojuro is present with the other Pillars when Tanjiro Kamado wakes up.
Kyojuro is sent to investigate a series of brutal attacks in a small village, believing they are related to the incident surrounding the disappearance of forty passengers aboard the Infinity Train.
He meets another demon slayer in a ramen shop and they discuss their next plan of action. Kyojuro was dying, killed by Akaza.
He made his first appearance at the Assembly of Pillars, which decided the fate of Tanjiro and Nezuko Kamado and Guyu Tomioki after the events of Mount Natagumo.
- Real Name: Rengoku Kyōjurô (煉獄 杏)
- Stage Name: Kyojuro Rengoku
- Nickname: Kyojuro
- Birthday: May 10
- Age: 20 Years Old
- Gender: Masculine
- Height: 177 cm (5’10”)
- Weight: 72 kg (159 lbs)
- Hair Color: Gold with Red Tips
- Eyes Color: Gold with Red Irises
- Type of Hero: Army of Demon Slayer
- Parents: Shunjuro Rengoku (Father); Ruka Rengoku (Mother)
- Sibling: Senjuro Rengoku (Younger brother)
- Friend: Mitsuri Kanroji, Tanjiro Kamado, Inosuke Hashibira, Nezuko Kamado
- Enemies: Enmu, Hairo, Akaza
- Manga Debut: Chapter 44
- Anime Debut: Episode 21
- Japanese Voice Actor: Satoshi Hino, Mariya Ise (Child)
- English Voice Actor: Mark Whitten, Ryan Bartley (Child)
- Kyojuro’s surname (煉れん獄ごく Rengoku) means “Purgatory” and his first name contains the kanji for “apricot” (杏 Kyō), “longevity” (寿 Ju)”, and “son” (郎 Rō).
- Kyojuro loves watching sumo wrestling.
- Kyojuro’s favorite food is sweet potato.
- His favorite side dish is sea bream grilled with salt.
- Kyojuro was never allowed to have a pet because his father hated animals.
- Kyojuro’s very distant ancestors, as stated by Kyojuro, ate a lot of tempura, causing their descendants’ and their own hair to become quite abnormal.
- During his first mission, Kyojuro ruptured his own eardrums to counter the Flute Demon’s Blood Demon Art. It is unknown but highly unlikely that this permanently affected his hearing.
- Kyojuro has two mottos: “If you put in your all, you’ll stand your ground even in death.” and “Nothing’s impossible if you put your mind to it.”
- It has been revealed that Kyojuro does have a real-life model and that most of the characters are modeled after people in real life. They’re typically normal people who the author happens to know.
- The Rengoku family has a long practice called “Kankagari” that for the duration of their pregnancies, every seven days the wives will spend two hours gazing at a large flaming torch. This seems to be what causes the men in the family to have flame-colored hair.
- Kyojuro is one of only 4 Hashira that use a normal Nichirin Katana. The other 3 are Giyu Tomioka, Muichiro Tokito, and Sanemi Shinazugawa.
- In Kimetsu Academy, Kyojuro is a history teacher. Because of his passion for teaching and his love of history, he began hurling his students and starting cavalry battles during class. He’s loved by his students, and nobody in this academy has terrible grades in history.
- Flame Breath: This breath was passed down in the Rengoku family from generation to generation, so this breath was passed on to Kyojuro through his father, Shinjuro Rengoku.
- Sea of Fire: Kyojuro charges towards his opponent at a very high speed and beheads him in one or more blows.
- Rising Sky Ignited: The Pillar uses a bottom-up attack.
- Universe of Flame: Kyojuro gives a powerful blow with his blade down.
- The Flamboyant Wave: The swordsman spins his sword in a circular manner, deflecting the attacks of his enemies.
- Flame Tiger: A series of sword blows in the form of a tiger.
- Purgatory: A devastating blow launched from a high position. The technique causes a crater to appear in the ground.
- Many of his peers are unable to keep up with Kyojuro since he is “reckless” that he would reach conclusions quickly, he’s quick to change his mind, he would eat quickly and so on.
- He was sensitive to other people’s emotions
- Rengoku doesn’t have a Tsuguko because of how hard his training is and they end up running away.
“Life is a series of decisions. You never have unlimited options or unlimited time to think, but what you choose in that instant defines who you are.”
“However, if you bare your fangs at innocent people, my bright red flame blade will burn you to the bone!”
“And, Senjuro, you’re different from me! You have a big brother! And he believes in his little brother! Whatever path you walk you’ll be a great person! You have a burning passion in your heart! So let’s do our best! Let’s work hard in life! Even if we’re lonely”
“To think that all of this happened while I was dozing… How could this be? I’m ashamed as a Hashira. If only I could crawl under a rock”
“Growing old and dying is what gives meaning and beauty to the fleeting span of a human life. It’s precisely because we age and die that our lives have value and nobility. Strength is not a word that means much in regard to the flesh.”
“I will fulfill my duty! I won’t allow anyone here to die!”
“Go ahead and live with your head held high. No matter how devastated you may be by your own weakness or uselessness, set your heart ablaze. Grit your teeth and look straight ahead. Even if you stop and crouch down, time won’t wait for you or snuggle you and grieve along with you. Don’t feel bad that I’m going to die here. As a Hashira, of course I would shield my juniors.”
Though Kyojuro Rengoku was the dead character, he has a big role. He is respected and appreciated by all Hashira because of his constant positive attitude and passionate spirit. He is a fighter with principles and has a duty to protect the weak.