At the age of 10 to 13, Shakira performed in Barranquilla and got recognition there. She impressed a local theater producer named Monica Ariza and brought her to Sony Colombia.
In 1990, she released her first album called Magia. Yet, the album was financially unsuccessful, along with her second and third albums.
Her success started when Shakira recorded ¿Dónde Estás Corazón? and launched her first international album Pies Descalzos in 1995.
The album ranked at the top of Latin charts including the U.S. Latin and U.S. Billboard Top Latin Albums. The next year, she held her international tour named Tour Pies Descalzos.
Her fourth album titled Dónde Están los Ladrones? was more successful than the previous one.
It was sold 7 million copies around the world and led her get her first nomination for Grammy Award in 1999.
Then, in 2001, she released her first English language album, Laundry Service.
The album peaked at number three on the U.S. Billboard 200 chart and brought her receiving triple-platinum from the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) in 2004.
She continued becoming a successful performer. Her works were award-winning as she received a ton of reputable awards including Grammy Awards and Billboard Music Awards.
She also performed consecutively in the FIFA World Cup in 2006, 2010, and 2014.
- Full Name: Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll
- Stage Name: Shakira
- Nickname: Shak
- Birthdate: February 2, 1977
- Birthplace: Barranquilla, Colombia
- Nationality: Colombian
- Height: 157 cm (5′ 2″)
- Weight: 53 kg (117 lbs)
- Blood Type: –
- Religion: Roman Catholic
- Profession: Singer, Songwriter
- Education: University of California
- Hobbies: Playing tennis and swimming
- Parents: William Mebarak Chadid (Father); Nidia Ripoll Torrado (Mother)
- Sibling: Tonino Mebarak, Patricia Mebarak, Ana Mebarak, Lucy Mebarak, Moises Mebarak, Alberto Mebarak, Edward Mebarak, Robin Mebarak and Antonio Mebarak.
- Boyfriend: Antonio de la Rúa (2000-2010), Gerard Piqué (2011 – 2022)
- Facebook: @shakira
- Twitter: @shakira
- Instagram: @shakira
- TikTok: @shakira
- YouTube: Shakira Official
- Her trademarks are belly dancing and blonde dyed hair.
- The singer often performs barefoot during the concerts.
- Shakira has perfect pitch, which means she can recognize any note without a prior reference.
- The woman is a massive fan of Bollywood music and movies.
- Her friends are Gabriela Vaca Guzman and Rihanna.
- Her biggest musical influence is John Lennon.
- She has the same birthday as Gerard Piqué, her boyfriend.
- When she was only 4 years old, the star wrote a poem titled La rosa de cristal.
- She founded a Colombian charity called Pies Descalzos Foundation in 1997.
- In 2002, Stuff magazine listed her at number nine as one of the 102 Sexiest Women in the World.
- She founded a beauty line named S by Shakira in 2010.
- In the same year, she started dating a soccer player, Gerard Piqué.
- She also received a medal from the UN International Labour Organization in 2010.
- The La La La singer was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2011.
- The Harvard Foundation honored her as Cultural Rhythms Artist of the Year in 2011.
- In 2012, She was named in Forbes’s list of Top 100 World’s Most Powerful Women.
- In January 2013, She gave birth to her first son, Milan Piqué, with Gerard Piqué.
- In 2014, Radio Disney Music Awards gave her the Hero Award for her foundation’s work.
- The Chantaje singer became one of the coaches in The Voice Seasons 4 and 6.
- The singer was awarded the Global Literacy Award in 2020 from The World Literacy Foundation.
- On June 4, 2022, Shakira and Gerard Piqué officially split after 12 years together.
- Her ideal type is…
- Her net worth is around $300 million.
Pics of Shakira
1. She looks stunning in the golden dress
2. This black and red outfit makes her appear sporty
3. A selfie from Shak!
4. Her performance is energetic
5. The star also plays drum! Shakira is multi-talented, right?
Her unsuccessful path at the beginning didn’t take her down. Shakira learned and continued shining at every performance.