The huge popular K-drama Goblin aired from December 2, 2016 to January 21, 2017 on tvN.
The production process was started by the reading process for all the cast, which started on August 30, 2016, in Samgamdong, South Korea.
The filming process itself started in September 2016 in South Korea and October 2016 in Canada for some episodes.
Goblin is starred by the legend actor, Gong Yoo, as the male lead and Kim Go Eun as the opponent actress.
The Goblin character, Gong Yoo, had become the main actor for several dramas, like Coffee Prince (2007), and Big (2012).
Kim Go Eun had starred in some movies like Monster (2014), Memories of the Sword (2015), and also a drama called Cheese in the Trap (2016).
Goblin was aired every Friday and Saturday at 20:00 KST and replaced the previous tvN drama, The K2.
Read more: My Mister – Cast & Summary
- Title: Goblin / 도깨비 / Dokkaebi
- Also Known As: The Lonely, Shining Goblin / Guardian: The Lonely and Great God / Goblin: The Story of an Eternal / Great God Who Falls in Love / Goblin: The Lonely and Great God
- Genre: Drama, Romance, Fantasy
- Country: South Korea
- Director: Lee Eung Bok
- Producer: Joo Kyung Ha, Kim Jiyeon
- Screenwriter: Kim Eun Sook
- Production Companies: Hwa&Dam Pictures
- Network: tvN
- Episodes: 16
- Air Dates: December 2, 2016 – January 21, 2017
- Air Time: Friday & Saturday, 20:00 KST
Synopsis of Goblin
Actually, the goblin was a strong military general during the Goryeo era. His real name is Kim Shin (Gong Yoo) but he turned into a goblin because he was killed by the King (Kim Min Jae).
After he was killed, he got the immortal life as a goblin that he initially thought that it was a blessing but actually, it was a curse.
To end his curse, he has to find his bride. After spending 900 years searching for his bride, he finally met Ji Eun Tak (Kim Go Eun), a young woman who was saved by him when the accident hit her in her childhood.
After Eun Tak’s life is being saved, she has the ability to see ghosts and mystical creatures. She also always hears the whispers that said she is the Goblin’s bride.
No longer after that, her mother died. She then moved to her aunt’s house but didn’t get the nice treatment from them.
Shortly, she meets again with Kim Shin on her birthday when she blows the birthday candle. From this accident, she later moves to Kim Shin’s house alongside Grim Reaper (Lee Dong Wook).
The time passes by and Eun Tak says that she is the Goblin’s bride.
Gong Yoo as Goblin / Kim Shin
A 939 years old goblin who has been searching for his bride for over 900 years old. He is powerful but he is always lonely because he always sees the death of the closest people around him.
One day, he meets Ji Eun Tak, her bride which makes him fall in love.
Kim Go Eun as Ji Eun Tak
A 19 years old girl who is super bright, bubbly, optimistic, and has a grand dream. Even though she looks cheerful outside, she had experienced a lot of struggles in her life.
Since she was just a child, she was destined to be the goblin’s bride.
Lee Dong Wook as Grim Reaper / Wang Ye o/ Lee Hyuk/Kim Woo Bin
A super handsome Angel of Death who is cold and a bit merciless.
He is the reincarnation of Wang Yeo, the young King who had killed goblin in the past. He falls in love with Sunny, his queen in the past life.
Yoo In Na as Sunny / Kim Sun
A chicken restaurant’s owner who is beautiful and attractive. She hires Ji Eun Tak as her employee and later becomes her best friend.
In the past, she was Wang Yeo’s queen and she meets again with the reincarnation of Wang Yeo, Grim Reaper.
Yook Sungjae as Yoo Deok Hwa
He is the only one grandson from the family of Yoo, the family who is responsible to take care of Goblin. He is rebellious, kind, but spoiled.
Ghost around Eun Tak
- Ahn Ji Hyun as Go Jung Hyun
- Park Kyung Hye as Virgin Ghost
- Park Se Wan as Go Shi Won
- Kim So Ra as Lee Jung Hwa
- Go Soo Jung as a ghost
People around Eun Tak
- Noh Gang Min as the boy in the back-alley of the chicken shop
- Kim Min Young as Park Soo Jin
- Go Bo Gyeol as Kim Yoon Ah
- Kim Nan Hee as Eun Tak’s homeroom teacher
- Ma Min Hee as one of Soo Jin’s friends
- Yoon Hee Kyung as one of Soo Jin’s friends
Grim Reapers around Wang Yeo
- Kim Ki Doo as a Batch 21 Grim Reaper who is very serious about his work
- Choi Woong as Wang Yeo’s junior grim reaper who lives in the rooftop above Sunny’s apartment
- Jo Hyun Sik as a Batch 22 Grim Reaper
- Kim Chang Hwan as a Batch 23 Grim Reaper
- Yun Da Yeong as a Batch 23 Grim Reaper who was once Wang Yeo’s Court Lady
- Kim Nam Hee as Overworked doctor in ER
- Yoon Kyung Ho as Kim Woo Sik
- Lee Moon Soo as a loyal old man from the Goryeo era who kept Kim Shin’s body
- Nam Da Reum as Kim Soo Bok
- Park Jin Woo as Loan Shark
- Yoon Joo Man as Loan Shark
- Lee Seul Bi as a vain woman at café
- Kim Hyun Mok as Bus Passenger
- Kim Hye Yoon as the young era of a widowed old lady
- Lee El as Samshin, Goddess, the creator of birth and fate
- Kim Byung Chul as Park Joong Heon
- Kim Sung Kyum as Chairman Yoo Shin Woo, Deok Hwa’s grandfather
- Jo Woo Jin as Kim Doyoung, Deok Hwa’s secretary
- Yeom Hye Ran as Ji Yeon Sook, Eun Tak’s maternal aunt
- Jung Young Gi as Park Kyung Shik, Eun Tak’s male cousin
- Choi Ri as Park Kyung Mi, Eun Tak’s female cousin
- Hwang Seok Jeong as triplet sisters; two of them as a shaman fortune teller and a ghost
- Park Hee Von as Ji Yeon Hee, Ji Eun Tak’s mother
- Kim Min Jae as Wang Yeo
- Jung Hae In as Choi Tae Hee, Ji Eun Tak’s first love
OST (Original Soundtrack)
- Round and Round – Heize, Han Soo Ji
- Stay With Me – Chanyeol & Punch
- My Eyes – 10cm
- Hush – Lasse Lindh
- Beautiful – Crush
- You Are So Beautiful – Eddy Kim
- Who Are You – Sam Kim
- I Miss You – Soyou
- First Snow – Jung Joon Il
- I Will Go to You Like the First Snow – Ailee
- Wish – Urban Zakapa
- Heaven – Roy Kim & Kim EZ
- Love – Mamamoo
- And I’m Here – Kim Kyung Hee
- Winter is Coming – Han Soo Ji
- Stuck In Love – Kim Kyung Hee
- 2017 53rd Baeksang Arts Awards: Best Actor (TV Section) – Gong Yoo (Goblin)
- 2017 53rd Baeksang Arts Awards: Daesang (TV Section) – Kim Eun Sook