John Legend developed his musical talent since he was a child. However, he started writing and recording his music after graduating from university.
John independently released albums in 2000 and 2001. In 2014, he signed to Kanye West’s album and finally announced her stage name: John Legend.
Get Lifted, his debut album got the seventh rank on the US Billboard 200 and was sold 116,000 copied in the first week.
In 2006, the album won Grammy Award for Best R&B Album and led him to get nominated for Best Male R&B Vocal Performance and Best New Artist in the same award.
His music career shot up as he produced award-winning songs and held his international tours.
He doesn’t only receive recognition for his music, but also his acting. In 2008, Legend started his film debut in Sesame Street: Elmo Loves You!, playing as himself.
He also gets voice roles in The Savoy King and Crow: The Legend. Legend becomes a producer of Southside with You and Jingle Jangle.
- Full name: John Roger Stephens
- Stage name: John Legend
- Nickname: John Legend, Legend
- Born: December 28, 1978 in Ohio, USA
- Nationality: American
- Religion: Christian
- Profession: Singer, songwriter, record, and film producer, actor
- Education: University of Pennsylvania
- Hobbies: Reading non-fiction books and watching soccer on TV
- Parents: Ronald Lamar Stephens (Father) and Phyllis Elaine (Mother)
- Sibling: Ronald Stephens II, Vaughn Anthony Stephens, Phyllis Stephens
- Wife: Chrissy Teigen
- Instagram: @johnlegend
- Facebook: @johnlegend
- YouTube: John Legend
- Twitter: @johnlegend
- The most favorable food from his wife is French onion soup with a croissant on top.
- To spend his weekend, John likes watching a football game or having a brunch with mimosa, then shopping.
- His all-the-time dream is he can fly.
- John Legend owns two dogs named Puddy and Pippa.
- John Legend has collaborated as a songwriter or featured singer with famous artists. Some of them are Kanye West, Jay-Z, and Alicia Keys.
- He grew up in a Pentecostal Christian family. His grandfather was his pastor and his grandmother was the church organist. Also, his father was a pastor and his mother directed the church choir.
- When he was a child, Legend wanted to be a musician.
- At the age of 4, he took his first piano lesson.
- Due to his awesome academic talent, Legend skipped two grades!
- John was a wedding singer when he was a teenager.
- He graduated as salutatorian, the second-highest-ranked graduate, in North High School.
- Harvard University offered him admission. Also, he got scholarships from Morehouse College and Georgetown University. Yet, he chose to enroll at the University of Pennsylvania.
- In his decided university, Legend majored in English.
- He married Teigen precisely 7 years after they met.
- John performed at Gucci’s event in London. Its event’s campaign is “Chime for Change” and aims to increase awareness of women’s issues.
- In 2014, John got an honorary Doctorate in Music from the University of Pennsylvania.
- Chrissy gave birth to Luna Stephens, their first child, in 2016, and their second child, Miles Theodore Stephens, in 2018.
- Emmy Award 2018 nominated him Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie for his role as Jesus Christ in Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert.
- In 2018, John Legend and his wife donated USD 200,000 to Time’s Up. This legal fund provides legal support to the victims of sexual violence.
- John was chosen to be one of the Google Assistant voices in the same year.
- In 2019, People Magazine chose him as the Sexiest Man Alive.
- John and his wife lost their baby boy due to pregnancy complications in 2020.
1. This is John Legend’s outfit for the holiday season. How’s yours?
2. John Legend becomes one of the coaches for The Voice Season 19.
3. Is he a prince coming from a fairy tale?
4. Meanwhile, this outfit looks more mature and calmer. Which one is your favorite?
5. His talent in the piano is legendary!
John Legend is the concrete proof that a celebrity doesn’t only come with exquisite talent, but also a sharp brain. He is a balanced combination!