Rather than a definite character, Joy Boy is a title of great historical significance. In One Piece, the title Joy Boy is given to people who have visions of world-changing and aspire to freedom.
Joy Boy first existed during Void Century and was the protector of Fishman Island. He made a promise to Fishman Island but couldn’t keep that promise.
He is also the owner of at least part of the One Piece.
After a decade, Joy Boy makes an appearance in One Piece chapter 1043. When elephant Zunesha has a connection with him.
When Luffy battled against Kaidou, he ended up defeated on the floor but he kept smiling, and when Zunesha approached and sees him, he utters the word “he has returned” in the order announced about Joy Boy coming back.
Through this scene, many people make confirmation that Joy Boy was Luffy all along but is not that Luffy is reincarnated as Joy Boy, but Joy Boy is a title given to whoever holds power to liberate the worlds, where in this story, is One Piece protagonist, Luffy.
Read also: Sukuna – Biography, Trivia, Family & Life Story
- Real Name: Joi Bōi (ジョイボーイ)
- Stage Name: Joy Boy
- Nickname: –
- Birthday: –
- Age: –
- Manga Debut:
Chapter #628 (mentioned);
Chapter #1044 (Luffy)
- Anime Debut: Episode #548 (mentioned)
Monkey D. Luffy
- Hobbies: –
- Japanese VA: –
- English VA: –
Height, Weight, and Physical Appearance
- Height: –
- Weight: –
- Blood Type: –
- Hair Color: –
- Eyes Color: –
- Body Measurement: –
- Shoe Size: –
- Dress Size: –
- Father: –
- Mother: –
- Brother: –
- Sister: –
- Friends: –
- He connected to Fishman Island back then during the Void Century. He initially wanted the Fishmen to live with humans on the surface, but wasn’t able to make it happen.
- His bond with the people on Fishman Island makes him have a close relationship with Poseidon.
- Though he existed about 900 years ago, no one knows his exact age. But from the polygraph that was created by Kozuki Clan 800 years ago, it can be predicted that at least he is a hundred years old.
- He is in a war against the 20 Kings who created the World Government, but is losing the war.
- He remains a legend including his treasure. It is believed that he was the true owner of the grand treasure known as the One Piece.
- He also has a connection with Zunisha, who has been wandering the seas since the Void Century because of her crimes. It is said that more likely the crime was orders from Joy Boy.
His bounty values up to 7-9 billion berries. He is said to be a threat to Im Sama and the World Government because of the secret he kept in the Poneglyph.
- Though the Drums of Liberation that makes the sign of his return has the same beat as Luffy’s heart and makes Joy Boy return, it is still not clear whether he is Luffy’s descendant or not.
Read also: Muzan Kibutsuji – Biography, Trivia, Family & Life Story
- While his power is still a mystery because rather than reincarnated after 800 years, his “Joy Boy” name is the title that lives because of the possessed will to change the world, thus the same as Luffy’s will.
- It is still unknown what his weakness is as he lived and defeated 800 years ago and only recently awakened through Luffy’s body.
FAQs of Joy Boy
Who is Joy Boy?
Joy Boy is a title of great historical significance in the manga and anime One Piece.
How old is Joy Boy?
There’s no information about his age, but it can be predicted that at least he is a hundred years.
How tall is Joy Boy?
There is no information about his height.
How much does Joy Boy weigh?
There is no information about his weight.
Since Joy Boy is only mentioned several times in the manga and only awakened through Luffy’s body, there’s much interaction between Joy Boy and the One Piece character shown so far.
Joy Boy remains a mysterious character that hasn’t been completely explained. But this legendary figure is the key and certainly has a connection with One Piece’s main protagonist, Monkey D. Luffy.