Roronoa Zoro is the protagonist in One Piece. He is the first member to join Luffy in Straw Hat Pirates. His dream is to become the greatest swordsman in the world.
Always carries his three swords with him, Zoro is a muscular man of average height with tan skin. His body is full of scars from his battle.
His visible scars are the scars on his ankles that he got when he tried to free himself at Little Garden. He also got a scar on his left eye after the time skip, with no explanation of what it means.
He has green-chopped hair and always keeps a black bandana tied around his left bicep and his head whenever he fights against his opponent.
He is always seen wearing plain white shirts, black trousers tucked inside black boots, and green haramaki.
But aside from the same outfit, he also once wore an open navy blue shirt that he stole from the fish men.
As a former bounty hunter, he is intimidating and easily frightening others from only his glare. He shows no mercy during combat and appears as serious and has a distanced personality.
But he could lose his temper in a goofy and comical style. He also has a kind heart, as he could risk himself to save a little girl he didn’t know before.
He has strong leadership and reasoning but still stands by Luffy’s decision no matter what only disagrees once in a while, especially if he needed to point out the seriousness of the situation that has been overlooked by the crew.
- Real Name: Roronoa Zoro (ロロノア・ゾロ)
- Stage Name: Roronoa Zoro
- Also Known As: Zoro-juurou (ゾロ十郎)
- Nickname: Pirate Hunter Zoro, Zoro
- Birthday: November 11
19 Years Old (debut);
21 Years Old (after time skip)
- Gender: Male
178 cm (5’10”) (debut);
181 cm (5’11”) (after time skip)
- Weight: –
- Blood Type: XF
- Hair Color: Green
- Eyes Color: –
- Parents: –
- Siblings: –
- Friends: –
- Hobbies: –
- Manga Debut: Chapter 3
- Anime Debut: Episode 1
- Japanese VA:
Megumi Urawa (young)
Wataru Takagi (OVA)
- English VA:
Brian Zimmerman (Odex English VA);
Andrew Rannells (young) (4Kids English VA);
Brina Palencia (young) (Funi English VA);
Cynthia Cranz (young) (Episode 2);
Christopher R. Sabat
Aaron Dismuke (young) (Unlimited Adventure)
- Live Action Actor: Mackenyu
- His name changed due to copyright to avoid confusion between him and fictional swordsman Don Diego de La Vega, Zorro. The confusion about his name happens because the sounds L and R in Japanese translation sound the same, but because of the copyright, the name changed into Zolo.
- He is the second most popular character in One Piece after Monkey D. Luffy.
- Belonging to the Monster Trio, he is one of the strongest characters in Straw Hat Pirates. He was supposed to become the bodyguard for Buggy the Clown.
- He aims to become the world’s strongest swordsman and his power reflects his ambition, so whenever he fights seriously his killing intent becomes intense so it could terrified his own allies.
- He was named after a real pirate. Zoro is the Japanese translation that belongs to François L’Ollonais who terrorized the Caribbean during the 17th century and was known as one of the cruelest and most fearsome pirates of his time.
- He is a powerful swordsman and after spending two years training with Dracule Mihawk, he became so powerful that he managed to kill a dragon.
- He has an odd relationship with Sanji and never addresses him by his first name.
- He was recruited by Luffy because of his reputation as a swordsman, so when Luffy met him, he begged Zoro to join Straw Hat Pirates.
- He often sleeps during the daytime because he can’t sleep during the night, and with the training, he doesn’t get enough sleep. That’s why he often dozen off during the day.
- He doesn’t need Devil Fruit powers to accommodate his power because he is a talented swordsman.
- Because he spends so much time training and handling swords, he smells like steel and he bathes once a week.
- His swordsmanship is no doubt the best in One Piece world. He is able to use three swords at the same time with various attack styles and even uses a technique that utilizes air itself to strike the enemy from a distance. After two years time skip, he was even able to defeat the best swordsman on Fishman Island.
- He possessed Haki, the ability to coat themselves in armor when they were in battle. Although he doesn’t use it often.
- He has powerful physical strength even after training with Dracule Mihawk. He can easily defeat the strongest man that usually does combat with Luffy. He can lift and toss an entire building and packs some powerful punches with his swords technique. Without his swords, he was still able to knock out larger creatures. He has amazing tolerance to pain and endurance, including pain.
- His only weakness could be his lack of orientation, as he could easily get lost and walk in the wrong direction. He can even get confused by his own direction and often looks in a different direction when the crew mentions some place.
- His pride could also become his weakness, as he often refuses to back down from a fight, even if it’s out of his league.
“Only those who have suffered long, can see the light within the shadows.”
“It’s okay to lose your way… just don’t lose sight of what you have decided.”
“What does ‘teamwork’ really mean, anyway? Is it just about rescuing or protecting each other? There are people who believe that. But to me, it just sounds like kids playing around.”
“In a real fight there is no man or woman! If you don’t fight with your real power, that will be the most shameful thing.”
“Hmph. Aren’t titles useless when it comes to fighting? The stronger one wins, that’s all.”
“How did I end up following a captain like this?”
“A crew with no respect and a captain that doesn’t demand it falls apart quickly.”
“My captain has no business with a chunk of stone like you. Suck it up and just deal with me instead”
Roronoa Zoro is Luffy’s right hand and one strongest crew in Straw Hat Pirates. He has strong combat skills and is willing to risk himself to protect his captain and his crew.
He has a strong principle, and his good reasoning often helps the crew.