Usopp, who is also known by King of Sniper, is one of the protagonists in the manga and anime One Piece. He is one of the crew of Straw Hat Pirates who are led by the main protagonist Luffy.
He is the third person to join Straw Hat Pirates. Before joining Straw Hat Pirates, he lived in Syrup Village and became captain of Usopp Pirates.
Usopp’s trademark appearance is his long nose. He has black curly hair in medium length. His face resembles of his father, except for his nose, which he got from his mother.
For almost the entire story, he wore the same outfit. He wore a brown overall with a white sash without a shirt underneath.
He also wore a green plaid bandana accompanied by a blue and white stripes armband on his left arm, and special sniper goggles.
Sometimes, his clothes change, especially his shirt. He once wore a murky green shirt underneath his brown overalls.
His clothes also changed to a yellow zip-up coach jacket along with a red towel around his shoulders.
Usopp is known for his lies. He often lies to save himself and enjoys telling tall tales. He is the comic relief in the crew and also the weakest member.
Though he is weakest, he is not selfish, and is compassionate. He strives to become a great pirate and works hard to keep the crew safe.
- Real Name: Usoppu (ウソップ)
- Stage Name: Usopp
- Also Known As: Uso-hachi (ウソ八 Usohachi), Sogeking (そげキング Sogekingu)
- Nickname: King of Sniper, God, Hana Arashi
- Birthday: April 1
17 Years Old (debut);
19 Years Old (after time skip)
- Gender: Male
174 cm (5’8”) (debut);
176 cm (5’9”) (after time skip)
- Weight: –
- Blood Type: S
- Hair Color: Black
- Eyes Color: –
- Parents: Yasopp (father), Banchina (mother)
- Siblings: –
- Friends: Kaya, Usopp Pirates, Dorry and Brogy, Oimo and Kashii, Heracles
- Hobbies: –
- Manga Debut: Chapter #23
- Anime Debut: Episode #8
- Japanese VA: Kappei Yamaguchi
- English VA:
Jamie Meldrum (Episode 9-53) (Odex English VA);
Chuck Powers (Episode 54+) (Odex English VA);
Jason Griffith (4Kids English VA);
Sonny Strait (Funy English VA)
- Live Action Actor: Jacob Romero Gibson
- The name Usopp could be a portmanteau between Uso means lie and Isoppu, the Japanese pronunciation of Aesop, a writer behind “The Boy Who Cried Wolf”.
- His long nose, it’s probably inspired by the character Pinocchio that the nose getting longer whenever he tells a lie.
- His long nose is not made without purpose, because apparently it is one of the strongest parts of his body. His nose could support his body when he drowned, and it was as tough as actual bones.
- Usopp’s birthday is the same day as April’s Fool, it coincidence because one of his traits is to lie to others.
- Even though one of his greatest traits and skills is lying, but many of his lies sometimes became truth like mythical creatures like dragons and Cerberus that later they found out exist.
- He’s always been seen wearing goggles and it’s not for show. His goggles have special purpose, like shading him from the sun so it can minimize his glare when aiming. The goggles are also able to be flipped around.
- He is the crew’s hairdresser along with Robin, though there’s no scene of him taking care of the crew’s hair, but according to Oda, those two are the ones that keep the Straw Hat Pirates’s hair neat.
- Though he isn’t the strongest, bravest, of the most capable in the crew, he always manages to save the crew when they’re in danger.
- He had tremendous ability to make weapons and fights, but he had low self-esteem and confidence. He often doubted himself and his capability to help the crew.
- His marksmanship skills are exceptional. He can accurately hit from a vast distance of over a mile. He can calculate and predict trajectory angles, influence of wind and distance, also incorporate booster shot so he could hit his target even it is located indoors or physically too far away to be visualized.
- His marksman skill was also supported by his sharp eyesight, and often he could have noticed or seen something before the crew saw it.
- He is tactical and able to think quick in a battle. His deception and cunning strategies also contributed to his win against his opponent, who is physically stronger than him.
- His greatest ability including his ability to created weapons and engineering. He is the one who created Nami’s weapon, Clima-Tact, including his own weapon slingshot.
- His physical ability is including his ability to endure and willpower. Often in battle, he gets serious injuries. Despite that, he didn’t stop and continued to fight despite the injury.
- He also has incredible speed that he often refers to hit-and run tactics and uses his ability to be high strung and jumpy to the most.
- Among his ability, he is also capable of making spiders fight and knows to handle them without being stung by their fangs and being poisoned.
- His weakness is including his low self-esteem and cowardice. He sometimes is afraid to fight opponents that are stronger than him like Shichibukai.
“A dumbass is still a dumbass.”
“I’ll be brave.”
“I’m quick on my feet when I’m fleeing. Let’s go.”
“Man or child, strong or weak, none of those matter once you are out at sea.”
“I can kick just as much butt as anyone when I want to!”
“Yahhh! Don’t mess with me, dammit!”
“I will fight! It’s not a lie, but to become a true brave warrior of the sea!”
“Wh-wh-what, you bastard?! You’re gonna regret making a fool of me thinking I’m weak!”
“Serves you right! You’ve underestimated me!”
“D-don’t mess around! This man, Usopp, will accept your challenge!”
“I’m the sniper for the Straw Hat Pirates! Don’t underestimate me!”
“Yeeeaaah, everyone! Nice work! but you Zoro you did nothing!”
“There comes a time when a man has to stand and fight! This is the time when his friend’s dreams are laughed at. Luffy wont die… I know he’ll be the pirate king one day…and I won’t let you laugh at that!”
Usopp might be the weakest member of the crew, and sometimes he lets his cowardice get ahead of himself.
But he can overcome it and face his fears for the sake of his friends, even to save people he barely knows.